iMac 2.66GHz or 2.93GHz for 3D Modelling/Rendering

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shopkeeper, Aug 16, 2009.

1. shopkeeper macrumors newbie

I am going to buy a iMac for 3D modelling and rendering (with occassional animation) work.

Is there a significant difference in performance (especially rendering)between the 2 iMacs? How do the 2 graphics cards compare for processor intensive task such as 3D modelling?

Here in the UK the price difference between the two uncustomised setups is almost 300 pounds. Is the difference worth the extra money considering my requirements.

Thanks for any help.

(btw. I have used a Macbook running Bootcamp for occassional modelling work and have had no problems under this setup what-so-ever but the 13" screen is a limitation for this type of task)

2. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

If you're using a macbook and having no problems then the iMac will be a pleasant upgrade for you. The macbooks have integrated graphics, which hampers any intensive 3D work. You won't see an enormous difference in the two different iMac models. The one with the faster processor will have marginally faster renders, maybe 5-10%. On the whole, both machines are extremely fast.

3. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

You'll want to pay more attention to the GPU and RAM, rather than the processor. I believe the 24" iMacs come with 4 GB of RAM standard, and that's good. For the GPU, try to get the nVidia GT 130 or the ATI Radeon HD 4850. Those will help a lot for graphics-intensive work. Also, make sure your HD is 7200 RPM or above.

There is one other option I will give you, to help you decide which is the best way to go: If you're 'Book is doing well with your graphics editing, you could always buy an external monitor and hook it up. That would save you a heap of money if your 'Book can handle what you do. :)

4. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

But, rendering is VERY CPU intensive