imac 2.6ghz or macbook 2.4ghz ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jamescox, Nov 4, 2008.

1. jamescox macrumors newbie

jamescox

i m planning to shift to a mac. but which one should i buy? imac or macbook? i looking mainly for good performance as i play games once in a while. i do prefer portability but will the new macbook give good graphics performance?

2. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Well If you are into games then definitely the iMac of those two choices. The new Macbooks graphics are a thousand times (well about 4 or 5 times) faster than the old Macbooks. That being said the new and old Macbook Pros graphics are roughly 2 times faster than the new Macbooks. I could not find any bookmarks on the iMacs for games but if I had to guess I would say maybe 15-20% better than Macbook Pros (someone please correct me if they have better information). Check this link out it has some benchmarks you will probably find interesting. Sorry if this was a mouthful but I hope I helped some. Like I said if anyone has a better idea about games on an iMac please post. Another option for about the same price as a new Macbook is a refurb last gen Macbook Pro.

http://www.macworld.com/article/136214/2008/10/macbookbenchmarks.html

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Awesome or not, the MacBook's graphics card is still integrated so it will always lag behind dedicated cards. iMac is about 1.4-2 times faster in games.

But the real question is do you need portability or not?

4. kenned macrumors member

The Macbooks 9400M does not lag behind due to the 1066mhz ddr3 memory.

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Have you seen benchmarks?

6. jamescox thread starter macrumors newbie

jamescox

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

It seems to me to be an example of the old trade off between power and portability. If you need/want power (and you mention your marked preference for a good gaming machine) then choose the iMac, whereas if you want portability, opt for the MB. My own suggestion would be to try a MBP; it has a lot more power and better performance than the MB and has an excellent screen, too, along with portability.
    Cheers and good luck

8. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Here are some iMac benches for you, but with the price gap between the high-end MacBook and low-end MacBook Pro being quite small, and your gaming requirements and portability preference, I would suggest a low-end MBP.