Imac 2.8 causing power surges when sleeping or off

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Zmmin3, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Zmmin3 macrumors regular

Last night when my new/refurb Imac went into sleep mode I noticed that the room lights started flickering. At first I thought it was the bulbs going. So I went into another room and those lights were flickering too. So I went back and woke the Imac back up and the lights stopped flickering.

I shut the computer off and I noticed the lights started to flicker. It was very faint but it was definitely there even though the Imac was off.

Well I unplugged the unit and the lights stopped flickering. I plugged it back in but did not turn it on and the lights started to flicker again. So I just l left it unplugged for now.

Now I dont notice the lights flickering when the Imac is actually up and running I dont notice the lights flickering, just in sleep mode and when it is off.

Do I need a bigger/better power surge device?

Am going to call Apple later on today when I get back home.
    :confused:

2. Zmmin3 thread starter macrumors regular

apple tech said it could be a short in the computer. I have an appointment for them to check it with a voltmeter. Seeing as its under the 14 day period I am just taking it back and returning it. If the problem is caused by a short, who knows what other problems its caused in the computer itself.