iMac 2.8 for recording

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by INBLUT, Jan 5, 2009.

1. INBLUT macrumors newbie

INBLUT

Hey you all,

I'm completely new to this forum so be gentle :)

I've been wanting to change my recording set up for quite a while now and recently I lost all my faith on my Windows based computer....so what's left?
    Macintosh.
    A friend of mine has one and he speaks wonders of it. He also moved from Windows to Mac. Now... I wonder how a specific mac model will behave when recording audio.

I´m using a POD X3Live to record guitars via USB and a firewire interface for drums/vocals/bass, even though i can record vocals and bass via POD X3Live.

How will an iMac 24" 2.8 with 4Gb Ram behave on a recording environment ?
    Should I consider a Mac Pro? Is so ...why?

I would appreciate all the opinions possible

Blessings
    Ricardo

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I would remove your email address from your post - it'll just make it easier for spambots to find you ;)

The 2.8 iMac should do the trick fine. I've bought a 2.66 GHz 20" iMac with the thought of keeping it for use in a professional recording environment once I'm at the stage of being able to set up a studio. I've already used it for quite a few projects and it's far more than capable.

As for a MacPro, it will give you a much greater degree of expandability. I would expect a longer life from it, the ability to put together far more complex projects and generally better value for money.

However, this may not all be applicable to your situation, and for any sort of small project studio, an iMac will be far more than up to the job.

3. INBLUT thread starter macrumors newbie

INBLUT

Killyp,

Thank you so much for the tip ;)

The Mac Pro is far to much expensive for my pocket! Maybe if I win the lottery on something like that...

I'll be entering the Mac Realms really soon.