Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aberen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
Ok, so Im kinda in a pickle here.

Im in the market to buy myself a new Mac.
Now, i've been eyeing the aluminum iMac for quite awhile now and pretty much made up my mind about what to buy until last tuesday "The Macbook penryn release".

The question is now. What the hell do i buy?
I cant seem to make up my mind about it. On one hand, i want a desktop machine for my desk. But on the other hand, i want the new stuff!
Could i settle for buying a MBP and buy a 24" inch display to use when I'm at the desk? Or would i get more out of Getting the iMac as a reliable desktop system?

Anyway, im running in circles here. Have any of you been in the same situation? If so, what did you pick?

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
Wait a couple of weeks and see if updated imac or MBP appeals more. The imac update is expected tomorrow. I don't know if it's going to happen then, but it will be soon.

asphalt-proof

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2003
Magrathea
For what its worth, I was having the same quandary. I won't be buying till June but I have decided on the iMac. One: because i feel like desktops last longer than laptops (my current iMac is almost 5 years old.) Two: Because of reason #1, i won't fork out for AppleCare. Three: I don't fly all that often so the iMac is portable enough for me. Put it in an iLugger and off i go. And finally Fourth: For the money, I more screen and more HD space get quite a bit more computer. Oh and fifth and most important: My wife hates laptops.

This is just the rationale i am using to justify an iMac. Also, I am really hoping that a 30" iMac comes out by June. That really seals the deal for me. But if not, the 24" is great.

Shackler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2007
behind you!
MBP and external display.
best of both worlds.
if imacs do get updated it'll just be to the processors that the MBP already has.
and i dont think itll be updated this week simply because of purple :eek: ipod nanos so it would be next week.

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
I've had both, and personally... while the screen real estate is nice on an iMac, being able to take the computer anywhere you want.. ie. bathroom, in bed, in the kitchen, over a friends house... anywhere... is very appealing to me.

Aberen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
I've had both, and personally... while the screen real estate is nice on an iMac, being able to take the computer anywhere you want.. ie. bathroom, in bed, in the kitchen, over a friends house... anywhere... is very appealing to me.

Yeah, one of my biggest worries with buying an iMac was that i would regret it because of it being a desktop computer, i cant take it with me everywhere.

Right now, im leaning more towards an MBP. and eventually (when money allow it) an iMac.

Thanks all :)

nikiski

macrumors regular
So that you can lean even more towards getting a MacBook Pro, I'm voting for it. :D

Shackler is right about getting an external monitor to get the "best of both worlds," moreover, the MacBook Pro has a MultiTouch trackpad now, that iMac can't beat.

shreddy

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
UK
Well I currently have a 2.8Ghz 24" iMac and I've just ordered a 17" MBP glossy hires (replacing a Dell M65 hires). I have to say I'm seriously thinking about selling the iMac and getting a 30" desktop screen (2560x1600 instead of 1920x1200) and pocketing the change! Shame there's no sensible docking station for the MBP otherwise it'd probably be a done deal already..

I'll wait a while until after the laptop arrives so I can get a feel if there's any noticeable speed difference between the two, but I guess not.

If you want some flexibility then get the MBP & a display - you'll actually have a dual screen system too! But the iMac is a supremely cool machine :p

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
What about an iMac and a cheapo second hand Macbook/iBook? That really is the best of both worlds.

FWIW, I have a Macbook combined with a 24" Dell monitor and although I'm pretty happy with that setup, I find the unplugging of screen, mouse and speakers every morning, and replugging in the evening, a real hassle (and if you want the type of hard drive space that a laptop can't offer, add external hard drive to that list). Its wires hell too - not exactly a 'clean' set up.

Of course this problem can be removed by getting a wireless keyboard/mouse, wireless NAS and Airtunes. I, however, am too poor at the moment to see how that would pan out.

The problem with a laptop/desktop combo is syncing the two. However, if I get an iMac I'm sure my Macbook will be restricted to internet browsing on the sofa or kitchen.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Do you REALLY need the 2.8GHz processor? It's very expensive when all it really does is adds an extra 400MHz. Maybe look at getting the 2.4GHz one?

Same goes for the 24" screen. Sure you really need this? I get on fine with my 20" 2.4GHz iMac.

Maybe get a middle range iMac and a MacBook. Then you win win win! :D

Aberen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
What about an iMac and a cheapo second hand Macbook/iBook? That really is the best of both worlds.

I already been thru 2 Macbooks in my time. and i would like something with a little more "Umf" in it. If you know what i mean :) ?

Same goes for the 24" screen. Sure you really need this? I get on fine with my 20" 2.4GHz iMac.

Yes, the more screen real estate, the better. I work as a graphic designer so i require a lot of viewing space when i'm working.

Also why i mentioned the whole "could i settle for a MBP and a external monitor" I travel a lot, i attend quite a few conference's and meet with lots of clients. Therefore i kinda wanna go portable. But i also really like the idea of, not having to worry if today is the day im gonna drop my MBP and break it, and having an iMac at home to work on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.