iMac 2.8GHz or 3.06GHz with similar configuration

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by htchang1987, Feb 3, 2009.

  1. htchang1987 macrumors member

    Nov 30, 2007
    Planning to buy an iMac after deciding that I don't really need the portability of the Macbook Pro. However, having problem deciding between the 2.8GHz and the 3.06GHz models, I am here seeking for advice.

    Firstly, talking about the tasks that I am going to do with a new iMac, I am a moderate gamer who does play games during some free times, also, as a undergraduate student, I do norming school stuffs and surfing the net. Sometimes I will do some photoshop-ing for some poster design or other design related things but not much. However, most importantly, I watch a lot of movies or tv shows on a computer therefore I will go for the 24" model for the comfort of entertainment.

    I know all the tasks that I will be doing will not require me to buy the top end of the iMac line. However, my thinking is that if I go for the 3.06GHz model, I might not be too outdated if the iMac is going to be refreshed in the very near future. But, thinking from the price point of view, I do also considering to go for the 2.8GHz model, but I am also seeking advice if I were to go for the 2.8GHz model, it is better for me to upgrade to the NVIDIA GeForce 8800GS card and a 4Gb RAM, since I will be playing some games on it?

    Very confused right now. Do both of the machines have significant difference in speed? I can't imagine very well as I have not yet played on such a fast computer since I started to use a 1.83GHz C2D PC 2 yrs ago. Or you guys out there really recommend me to be patient for the upcoming refresh of the iMac line? Looking forward for your reply. Thank you very much.
  2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603


    Jul 26, 2004
    Montreal, QC
    I wouldn't worry too much about the 260 MHz or memory at this point, but I'd upgrade to the 8800 right away. You can always add more memory (and should go aftermarket anyway since it's a third the price) but the graphics card isn't user-upgradable. It should last as a decent gaming machine for 2-3 years anyway, and a perfectly respectable computer for most other tasks for rather longer than that.
  3. htchang1987 thread starter macrumors member

    Nov 30, 2007
    Thanks for the immediate reply.
    However, if possible, can anyone gives any benchmark for different configurations for that two models whether from the point of view of gaming or maybe, running adobe softwares?
    I am still in a dilemma right now and I really need serious suggestions and advices. Thank you.
  4. rareflares macrumors regular

    Jun 7, 2004
    Washington D.C.
  5. andylo macrumors newbie

    Feb 4, 2009
    I suggest just waiting for the new refreshments, it could be like next month you know..
  6. htchang1987 thread starter macrumors member

    Nov 30, 2007
    Starting from December the rumor said new iMac in MWSF, apparently no; later the rumor said new iMac in a few weeks after MWSF, apparently no; now is early February, no iMac, still........argh........sigh.....
  7. mcnaugha macrumors member


    Jun 10, 2006
    You've waited this long...

    I would still wait if I were you. Not only will you potentially get a Quad Core iMac for the same price as today's 3.06GHz (or thereabouts), you'll also get a more powerful Nvidia GPU (possibly multiple GPUs). This all adds up to dramatic performance increase when you get Snow Leopard installed on your system (as it takes advantage of all the cores including GPU cores). The current iMac is really old technology now.

    The delay in the release now may be down to inventory of the current 20" iMac. It's approaching the buying season for Education in Europe... this is when Apple Education reps punt the outgoing iMacs at a cheap rate for bulk sales which helps clear the inventory. This happens during March.
  8. htchang1987 thread starter macrumors member

    Nov 30, 2007
    Which means new iMac will most probably only be out in the market after April?
  9. netdog macrumors 603


    Feb 6, 2006
    And it will have Nehalem. If you can wait, do. The new iMacs should be quite a leap forward, easily dusting the current 2.8 and 3.06 (not that these aren't fine and mighty machines).

    All signs point to a release relatively soon.
  10. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

    Demosthenes X

    Oct 21, 2008
    The other upside to waiting is you might be able to score a real steal on the current-gen iMac. For your uses it would remain more than adequate, and you'd save a bundle.

    Just a thought. :)
  11. papucla07 macrumors newbie

    Mar 3, 2009
    Every body was wrong about the updates, they weren't that great. I bought me the 2.8 for 1299 with my student discount an unbeatable deal.

Share This Page