iMac 2.8Ghz worth it???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ChancyJohn, Aug 18, 2007.

1. ChancyJohn macrumors member

From a purely gaming perspective does the 2.8GHz 2GB RAM show enough gains over the 2.4GHz 2GB model to justify the extra cost ?

Gains in ripping speed photoshop are immaterial for me. I dont use such products that often.

Thanks in advance

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Generally not that big a difference in speed, all depends on whether the other stuff is worth it for the money.

If the CPU came with more cache, or the GPU with more RAM -- it would probably be more worth the upgrade.

For bragging rights -- definitely.

3. LivelyTiger macrumors newbie

Non-gaming perspective also appreciated

Hi Guys,

I'm also very interested in feedback on the "Extreme" version of the iMac.

However, I'm not a gamer, so gaming perfomance is not a criterion for me.

I'm trying to decide between puchasing the 2.4GHz iMac or the "Extreme" 2.8GHz version.

If I opt for the slower configuration, I'll probably order the 500GB hard-drive (+$100), and purchase (third-party) RAM, probably the maximum 4GB (around $250 (I think)).

The main use of the machine will be e-mail/internet, iLife, media center, and running Adobe CS3 Apps.

Either machine will be a HUGE step-up from my current hardware, so I think I'll be happy whichever way I go.

Thanks in advance,

LivelyTiger :)

4. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

From a purely gaming perspective you'll be sad to hear the performance will be less than the previous iteration of iMac that had a better graphics card than is now offered.

With the exception of the CS3 apps, I can safely say the 2.4GHz machine would do you just fine. I can't say much about CS3 as I do not use it myself. But I've heard it runs fine on MBP's that top out at 2.4GHz.

5. LivelyTiger macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input!

I'm now thinking I'll go for the 2.4GHz machine and load it up with maximum RAM; that makes more sense to me.

Thanks again.

LivelyTiger :)

6. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

Anybody seeing differences in rendering etc. in doing video work? And how does either the 2.4 or 2.8 compare to the 2.6 Mac Pro in terms of speed/performance in 'real world'

7. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

If you are doing video with Final Cut Studio, they do not compare.

Having more available cores in a multithreaded applications is a sure win for the Mac Pro.