IMAC 2.8GHz

Discussion in 'iMac' started by vermonter16, Nov 25, 2008.

1. vermonter16 macrumors regular

I'm planning on getting an iMac Friday...I was thinking about getting the 24" basic one with an upgraded video card.... It comes with a 320GB hard drive...I have an 80GB on my PC machine.... I'm using maybe half of that now....will I need anything larger? I know I'll be doing a bit more video, etc.... But not a hell of a lot... No gaming or anything... Advice?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

As you say, if you're only using half of an 80GB drive, 320GB will last you a good while.

3. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Just get the 320GB that comes with it. If you ever need more storage in the future, buy an external hard drive.

4. vermonter16 thread starter macrumors regular

Good idea. Thanks. Should I go ahead and upgrade the video card though? I also want the 4GB of RAM....is all that worthwhile?

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If you'll be gaming or using graphic intensive apps (which will more and more be able to off-load work to the GPU) then yes, if not no.

4GB RAM is a good idea, just don't buy the upgrade from Apple. Do it yourself after.

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

It is cheaper to upgrade the RAM yourself. You can order the RAM from OWC and then watch this video to see how to install it. It is very simple to do it yourself.

7. vermonter16 thread starter macrumors regular

I'll check it out (can't do videos at work). I've installed RAM in other computers...I guess since I've never used an Apple I'm a little nervous that I would finally bust something.

8. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

The process is just unscrewing two screws, taking the old RAM out and putting the new RAM in. You can't mess it up!

9. vermonter16 thread starter macrumors regular

10. Cap41 macrumors 6502

A great place for RAM is canadaram "dot" com .. Apple suggested them to me...I bought 2 gig for $64.00 CDN.. I installed myself...no problem..took 3-4 minutes..

11. AL2TEACH macrumors regular

I have the same machine w/the upgraded vid card and I'm lovin it w/no complaints at all.

12. vermonter16 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I'm definitely going to check out the different sites and install the memory myself. Any little bit saved is great for me since I'm planning on buying a couple of ipods as well :).... I've got well over 500 CDs to transfer music from on my ipod though...I think it's going to take awhile!