iMac 20" Aluminium UPS?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by alex_scruff, May 27, 2008.

1. alex_scruff macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I've done a little bit of digging around on the internet, but can't find figures that agree on the exact power consumption of my 2.4ghz Intel core 2 iMac Aluminium 20". I have 3Gb of memory installed.

I really need to do something about getting a UPS sorted because we've had the power out 3 times today and I'm working on a big project in fcp for my uni course. At very least it would be good to be able to save and shut down before loosing my work next time it happens.

I'm using auto saves and have a surge protector, but UPS looks like the best bet. Canterbury in the UK seems to have awful problems with electricity across the city.

Any recommendations on which UPS will be suitable for my system?

Cheers :D

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I strongly recommend APC, I'm thinking a 650va or above should be sufficient. Remember, it's only there to be able to save your work & shut down gracefully until normal power is restored. No laser printers! :p

With a UPS, you can ditch the surge protector. The UPS' job is to take one for the team. Don't forget to replace the batteries every 18 months or so.

3. alex_scruff thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, thanks for the quick reply matey! Appreciated ;)

Thing is (not wanting to sound like a typical student here) I'm a bit strapped for cash and APC gear, although good stuff, seems to be more pricey than most.

I guess you get what you pay for though.

In the mean time, and not thinking straight before, I checked on the apple website for tech specs and to my surprise found data on power consumption for intel iMac's (not sure why I thought they wouldn't supply such specs).

They quote the current 20" iMac 2.4ghz at 200w maximum consumption, but this is for the Penryn revision-D iMac.. mine is a C (although I'm not sure how much difference that makes).

According to the conversion chart here I can get away with as little as 400va and be safe?

http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/shopscr4192.html

The only other thing I need to hook up to this thing is a Lacie external HDD.

Anyways if not APC, I just found this kicking about for quite cheap.. no idea what to expect from it, but it could do the trick...

http://www.cclonline.com/product-in...6&category_id=216&manufacturer_id=0&tid=15598
    :rolleyes:

4. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

How long does the power go out for? I have an 800va APC (I can't remember the exact size but it's around 800va) and I have 2 24" iMacs connected to it. The power in my lab often goes out for a few seconds to a couple minutes and it works just fine.

Cheers.

5. alex_scruff thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey there,

the power often goes out for a couple of minutes, but occasionally its much longer.

I'm mainly just after some way to let me save what I'm working on and shut down.
    :p