iMac 20" Core Duo 2 dead SATA controller

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Giuanniello, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Giuanniello macrumors regular

Giuanniello

My 20" Core Duo 2 iMac didn't want to boot, starting by the system optical disk it loads the utilities etc but doesn't find the hard drive, did try in target mode and same result, finally I opened it, the HD works fine connected to any other computer I have here at home so I thought of a cable problem then I found out that the optical drive runs on an ATA bus while only the HD runs on a SATA one so I suppose the SATA controller has gone, morto, dead...

Do you have any experience about this? Do you have any suggestion other than to install the operating system on an external drive to give the iMac a new life? It's a pity to trash it since it still is a good machine for its purposes.

thank you for your kind attention

Giovanni

2. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

Are you sure it isn't the HD cable? When you are checking the drive on other computers I'm assuming you aren't using the same cable. You could replace it to make sure. If the controller has gone the only fix is a new logic board, unfortunately, probably not worth it depending on the price you can get.

Here's one place for parts..

http://thebookyard.com

3. Giuanniello thread starter macrumors regular

Giuanniello

I thought of disassembling the SATA cable but dunno how, I guess I have to disassemble the whole thing to take out the logic board, to be honest I didn't even try to follow the cable's path and, by the way, even though I can reach the other hand do you think I can try with a normal SATA cable just to make sure it is either the cable or the logic board?

No way, no worth to replace the logic board, I will better attach an external hard drive and boot from it, pity since with 4GB ram and a 20" screen it is still a useful machine

Thank you for your advise