iMac 20" glossy screen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zirngast99, Mar 9, 2009.

1. zirngast99 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I just called the Apple-Hotline asking if there is a non-glossy option for the iMac screen and why they start using glossy screens all around.
    The answer was straight: "NO" and "I don't know".

I read a lot of threads here where people were arguing on glossy screens. Nearly all of them argued that the colors should be better (better saturation, more sharpness...) and that professionals should work in an environment with no direct light hitting the sceen (so be it a dark-room?).
    Thing is: most of them seem to be photo-professionals.

I use my MBP and the soon-to-be iMAC for office work in a regular office and only occasionally for photo editing. For my use a glossy screen ist terrible as everything is mirrored on it. I do care about sharpness and colors but not on the sake of my work at all!
    What value does the glossy screen have, if I just can't read my excel sheet but the picture in my back is mirrored perfectly...

Why is Apple moving away from those regular office workers and students?
    I just can't understand why they don not apply antireflection coatings like on glasses.

cheers,
    Patrick

2. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

Wow. Where to start?

Apple hasn't offered matte on their iMacs since early 2007.

Everything isn't mirrored in an iMac screen, Apple is not evil. The screens are really bright and really gorgeous.

You will be able to read your excel spreadsheet perfectly.
    and once more...
    You will be able to read your excel spreadsheet perfectly.

Finally, Apple isn't moving away from office workers/students, they are moving CLOSER to them. It's the professionals that are concerned with glossy screens.