Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScottDrummer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Canada
Hi,

Has anyone successfully upgraded a graphics card in a iMac (20-inch Mid 2007) or know if an upgraded card such as the Nvidia GT130 is supported by the logic board?

Thanks
Scott

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Hi,

Has anyone successfully upgraded a graphics card in a iMac (20-inch Mid 2007) or know if an upgraded card such as the Nvidia GT130 is supported by the logic board?

Thanks
Scott

I've heard that it's possible and some have managed to do that, but it's very hard and risky plus there are only very few choices available and they are expensive. I don't know does GT130 fit in but I doubt it.

It's cheaper to sell your current and buy new one than break it and buy new one

ScottDrummer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Canada
Im an Apple tech, im asking on behalf of a customer. The installation part is no problem but compatibility is my concern.
I can order the part directly from Apple, I just need to know it isnt going to fry anything before I attempt it.
I wont get a straight answer from TSPS so I thought id ask the community.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Im an Apple tech, im asking on behalf of a customer. The installation part is no problem but compatibility is my concern.
I can order the part directly from Apple, I just need to know it isnt going to fry anything before I attempt it.
I wont get a straight answer from TSPS so I thought id ask the community.

OK, that changes the story :p It's 20" iMac so it's smaller than 24" and that can be a problem. Heat wisely it's OK because '07 iMacs uses T7000 series and they run at 35W, so CPU is cooler than in current models. If you can fit in, do it, just speed up the fans a bit.

EDIT: Regarding to Everymac.com, GPU is not upgradeable (soldered to mother board) but with right tools it may be.

Based on photographs from those whom have disassembled the "original" and "Early 2009" models, the video is soldered to the motherboard and cannot be removed after purchase, with the possible exception of the iMac "Core 2 Duo" 2.8 24-Inch (08) , "Core 2 Duo" 2.93 24" (09), and "Core 2 Duo" 3.06 24" (09).

ScottDrummer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Canada
thats not really enough to go off.
Im not willing to throw in a graphic card that could potentially fry a logicboard and/or the graphics card based on your assumption.
Has anyone else had actual experience of doing this?

ScottDrummer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Canada
EDIT: Regarding to Everymac.com, GPU is not upgradeable (soldered to mother board) but with right tools it may be.

No the graphic card is on a MxM interface which can be removed and replaced quite easily. I wouldnt have asked if it was soldered on to the logic board.

Unfair

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2007
I know that the old white 24' iMacs were Upgradeable video cards.
I went from a 7300GT to a 7600GT easily. (I still have the 7300 part sitting here).

There weren't many options back then for other cards sadly. It is a fun project regardless. :)

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
No the graphic card is on a MxM interface which can be removed and replaced quite easily. I wouldnt have asked if it was soldered on to the logic board.

I thought they were soldered my self. I would be interested to know if the 2009 model is soldered too.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
From the specs my guess is that all iMacs and MacBook pro's use the same logic board or there are two different ones.

If it's anything like my HP laptop then there is a socket for a graphics card. I have an ati HD 2600. It even comes out easily. one time I spilled a quarter cup of iced tea in there and spent a month cleaning it out.

If there is a fpu socket then they should all have the same number of pins and you can probably buy it off eBay. Hopefully apple didn't lock the firmware and there is a connection to the monitor.

Worst case it's a smaller motherboard. Only way to tell is to pop it open and see if there is an empty socket

N2oExpresS2k

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2009
So the new imac 20" doesnt have the gpu soldered? Would I be able to upgrade to something like the ati 4850 on my new 20"? I got a great deal on it since I work for GeekSquad so I dont mind shelling out a little to get some decent performace out of it.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
So the new imac 20" doesnt have the gpu soldered? Would I be able to upgrade to something like the ati 4850 on my new 20"? I got a great deal on it since I work for GeekSquad so I dont mind shelling out a little to get some decent performace out of it.

No, you cannot simply take the card out and upgrade it, it still is a laptop part that uses an MXM-slot -- and even on PCs they don't always upgrade easy, according to the MXM-upgrade site.

Easiest to use an Apple part, since there are drivers for those, and they will fit it you use the other choice for the heat pipe.

And there is the rub, the GPU cooler likely will be different between the Nvidia generation machines and the Intel chipset generation. Probably would need somebody to image the differences between the two cards and mill the current 2007 heat pipe and/or add a conversion plate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.