Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sohaib Najam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Hi Everyone, Pretty much I'm stumped, my iMac was working just fine until I decided to upgrade to an ssd. Long story short, my iMacs screen just looks faded, colour is washed out, blacks look greyish. I will post some photos as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:)

**P.S. I did try putting the old Hard drive back in to see what would happen, same problem, everything is just greyed out and has no life and vitality in the display. The display worked for an instant when I reinstalled Yosemite on the SSD, but when I put the screws back in and restarted, it was back to this. I have tried to reinstall Yosemite but no luck. **

Attachments

• IMG_0344.JPG
    IMG_0344.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,708
  • IMG_0346.JPG
    IMG_0346.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 540
Last edited:

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
You answered your own question.

"When I put the screws back in it went bad again"

You put something in wrong, go back and look at the I fixit pictures carefully. Then slowly undo what you assembled. If it looks fine until a specific step in assembly, BINGO, there is your problem.

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
You answered your own question.

"When I put the screws back in it went bad again"

You put something in wrong, go back and look at the I fixit pictures carefully. Then slowly undo what you assembled. If it looks fine until a specific step in assembly, BINGO, there is your problem.

It's not easy to say, but the rainbow effect on the display is definitely interesting ;-)

I would say check your backlighting connectors, the backlights themselves (guess LEDs), the supply to your display or a perhaps a loose flex cable to your display.

Sohaib Najam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
Toronto, Canada
It's not easy to say, but the rainbow effect on the display is definitely interesting ;-)

I would say check your backlighting connectors, the backlights themselves (guess LEDs), the supply to your display or a perhaps a loose flex cable to your display.

I have re-opened the mac a lot of times and it's definitely not the screws. I doubt it's the inverters since they control only the backlight, which is working just fine. The only cable I can think of is the main video cable, but I don't understand how that could possibly go bad, without any physical damage to the cable.

** P.S. The rainbow effect is caused by the camera on my iPhone, those ripples you see aren't actually present, it's just that the screen just seems washed out, as if someone sucked the colour and vibrancy right out of it. **

SpeedyJoe

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2016
Sorry to reply to an old thread. But dos you ever solve this issue? I have the same symptoms after my SSD upgrade. Any help would be appreciated. Did the same things with inspecting cables and connectors for bent or damaged pins (none).

SpeedyJoe

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2016
I finally resolved this issue myself. Performed a PRAM reset by booting and holding CMD-OPT-p-r and all was well again.

Luthersnewboots

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2015
I finally resolved this issue myself. Performed a PRAM reset by booting and holding CMD-OPT-p-r and all was well again.

Looking to buy a computer that seems to be displaying this issue.
Is your computer working fine after the PRAM reset?

reedtek

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2018
I just did the same. Installed an SSD in and iMac 20 (2009). Screen washed out with no contrast. Spent ages checking all the cables and connectors then found this thread. Did the PR reset. Worked like a dream. Many Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.