iMac 20" or 4 Core Mac Pro for recording

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rhythman, Feb 19, 2008.

1. rhythman macrumors newbie

hello again friends

The time has come to purchase a new computer. I'm vacilating between the iMac 20" or 4 Core Mac Pro. It's a good place to be.

I'm a drummer/percussionist and very much a newbie to digital recording. I'll be recording with 4 - 8 mics. I'll most likely be using ProTools and Logic as well. I'll also be creating DVDs here at my home studio, most probably with Final Cut. So, which machine to purchase? The difference in price will be about $850, including a monitor if I get the Pro.

Any and all advice is most assuredly welcome.

Chuck S
    Los Angeles, CA

2. barijazz macrumors 6502

go pro. You will want the extra power and the room to expand.

3. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Go for the Mac Pro. That way, you can expand to two internal hard drives-- one for the OS, one to hold the audio data. This helps prevent dropouts caused by an ancillary function started by the OS, like Time Machine.

You'll also be able to install PCI-card audio input solutions, if you prefer those over FireWire. Since you'll have multiple mics on your drum kit, this may prove critical.

4. LorenK macrumors 6502

Mac Pro - more processing power, flexibility in set-up, greater RAM capacity.

5. rhythman thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks to all the input. this means I have to retire my cassette recorder now. :eek: aw well

I'll keep everyone posted

Chuck S
    http://chucksilverman.com