iMac 20" or 4 Core Mac Pro.which to purchase?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by rhythman, Feb 19, 2008.

1. rhythman macrumors newbie

hello again friends

The time has come to purchase a new computer. I'm vacilating between the iMac 20" or 4 Core mac pro. It's a good place to be. :)

I'm a drummer/percussionist and very much a newbie to digital recording. I'll be recording with 4 - 8 mics. I'll most likely be using ProTools and Logic as well. I'll also be creating DVDs here at my home studio, most probably with Final Cut. So, which machine to purchase? The difference in price will be about $850, including a monitor if I get the Pro.

Any and all advice is most assuredly welcome.

Chuck S
    Los Angeles, CA

2. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

I don't think computing power will hold you back on the imac. In terms of expandability the pro is better for sure, but for recording purposes get some good mics, pres, a dacs and interface first. 850 of your puny american $ will get you on the way to that.

3. rhythman thread starter macrumors newbie

reply iMac or Pro

Thanks for the quick response. How about for crunching DVD data, concerning the iMac vs. the Mac Pro 4 core?

Chuck

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

For what you're doing, the Pro without a doubt. More room for internal drives and you can fit a lot more memory (crucial for audio / video work). Plus you have another 2 cores of course!

5. rhythman thread starter macrumors newbie

iMac or 4 core

This is what I figured. But...as always...more opinions. I work at a Musicians Institute here in LA (http://mi.edu) and there are so many differing opinions for musicians and engineers though! Wow. I'd say it's 50/50 between the two machines. So, I'm just going to wait a few more days to get more opinions, then jump in.

Thanks, as always.

6. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i'm gonna vote for the pro also.

you'll need the extra bays for hard drives without a doubt. 4 bays = up to 4 terrabytes of internal storage.

if you go with external FW drives, you'll use up your FW bandwidth on the imac...especially if you add a FW audio interface.

the imacs is a beautiful machine and well-suited for many purposes...but for audio/video applications, you really need the horsepower and expandability of the pro.

7. Plumbstone macrumors regular

Plumbstone

MY vote goes for the Pro too, internal drives are a must with audio otherwise as has been said it eats into your firewire bandwidth. Also more RAM never hurts...

8. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

Internal drives? Not in most studios i've come across. If you're planning on over 32 tracks simultaneously this might have been an issue before firewire 800, but as far as i'm aware mac pro has two of them. And ask yourself honestly whether you need that, or whether you really want some good recording gear. The latter will age much more slowly.

9. rhythman thread starter macrumors newbie

which are you recommending?

hi

which of the two, iMac and Mac Pro, are you recommending?

10. -igor macrumors member

I am a drummer too and use an 8 input interface and used to use pro tools and do a little video editing in final cut and I have an iMac. I'm not really an expert, but I haven't had any issues at all.

11. rhythman thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks Igor. Well....wow, what a decision. I'd definitely leaning hard towards the Mac Pro. So, I'll let you know.

Chuck S

12. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

The iMac should work well, but when you replace it, you will have to throw away the monitor along with it.

The Mac Pro will grow with you.

If you can swing it, get the Mac Pro for future expandability and future-proofing.

PS: Not sure I agree about those saying you need the RAM capabilities and multiple internal drives. The drives would be nice. As for the RAM, however, I don't think you are going to tap anything more than the 4GB you can pop into the iMac. Really, get the Pro, but know that it is also a luxury and not a necessity.

13. fernmeister macrumors regular

I'd rather work with an imac and good preamps/mics/interface than with a mac pro and budget preamps/mics/interface.

Yes the mac pro can be internally "upgraded" but you have to honestly ask if and when you will do that. Most of the interface development at the moment is happening with firewire, there are really fast solid external drives on the market and lots of companies are producing great outside the box DSP products.