IMAC 20" screen/graphics horizonal lines issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gecolin, Mar 31, 2009.

1. gecolin macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I have an iMac 20", 2.4Ghz with ATI,RadeonHD2600 running osx 10.5.6

I am starting to have a problem with it, in some programs (cover flow, quicktime, internet online videos...etc) there are horizontal lines going from the bottom of the screen to the top of it with no specific color, they just deform the image when they pass through it.

Does anyone know if this is a hardware or software problem?

Any ideas on how to solve the problem?

It is 2 years old now and I do not have the extended apple guarantee...

Thanks a lot for your time

2. gecolin thread starter macrumors newbie

Can anyone help me?
    Today I went to an Apple shop, they said that probably is a hardware issue which means around 700$...for not much more money I could be buying a new imac...

I can believe that I have to throw away my Imac after only 2 years of use!

3. Oko macrumors newbie

It sounds like a hardware issue and was the reason I had to get rid of my old iMac, you might be ****ed.. sorry. ;/

4. Nasty Roo macrumors member

You know, if you would have bought that extended warranty, you wouldn't be in this predicament. :)

Sorry, had to say it.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Video card failing. Unfortunately, unless you're willing to replace the logic board for $800+, you're out of a computer. The computer is still functional (for the time being) you just have to put up with the horizontal line which in the future, should get worse.

Sorry.

6. gecolin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answers, you are right apparently it is a hardware issue, which means the replacement of the logic board or the graphic card...
    But I have noticed that when I use an external monitor (a LCD connected by DVI to HDMI) the lines do not appear on it.
    Do you find any reason for this?

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if it only happens with the "built in" monitor, that would seem to be a "monitor" problem vs. a graphic's card issue?