iMac 20" Setup - A few ??'s

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RandyJS, Apr 18, 2007.

1. RandyJS macrumors member

Hey everyone!

I have been patiently awaiting the next revision of the Macbook Pro and recently had the opportunity to get a 20" iMac for essentially nothing. Here are the specs:

Apple iMac Desktop with 20" Display MA589LL/A (2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB Hard Drive, SuperDrive)

In any event, I am an avid mac-geek now, and have had numerous other systems (old Powerbook g4 17" from july 2004 which i sold in sept for $1400 - , mac mini G4, mac mini core solo, iMac 15" G4, iPods, etc..) I have some iMac specific questions regarding mounting, external displays etc...

I currently have a VESA wall mount not in use and would like to use it with my iMac when I receive it, however, I cannot locate any information about wall mounting this unit. If wall mounting is not possible, do I have any other options for the iMac instead of just "plopping" it onto my desk? I know I know, its a beautiful machine, its just I would like to have it "hover" over my desk lol...

This system should be really fast compared to my current systems, and I would like to be able to use it as my primary computer, as well as a "media server" - By media server I mean being able to keep all of my media stored in this machine, being able to access it from my other computers in my house through iTunes - Apple TV etc... Actually, can I watch videos stored on this computer through iTunes on another computer? I currently have apple TV installed on a mac mini hooked up to my 1080p 42" display in my room, so you can see why I may want to have all of my content stored on another PC's larger hard drive!

I would consider hooking up my external display to this unit directly via HDMI or VGA or DVI. Does the iMac have any display connectors on the back??

--Regarding apples wireless keyboard and mouse, what would everyone recommend? I currently use a Logitech Dinovo bluetooth edge keyboard/mouse combo but may opt for the bluetooth apple keyboard & mouse -- If anyone has both ( or has tested both) please let me know the pros and cons and where I can get a reasonable deal on them.

I am looking forward to getting my new iMac 20" and my new macbook pro as soon as they release the next revision! If anyone knows where to purchase CHEAP applecare I would also be interested!

Best,
    RJS

2. gavd macrumors 6502a

With regard to wall mounting your iMac, the iMac you'll be getting isn't VESA compliant so I you won't be able to get a VESA mount and do it. Whether there are any other ways, I'm not sure.

Your iMac has a Mini-DVI output port. Here's a link to the tech specs of the machine you're getting.

I've got the Apple wireless keyboard and mouse and I'm really happy with them.

Hope this helps.

3. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

no vesa mount on the new iMacs (except for the 24" model). they stopped having vesa mounts on all iMacs once the iMac G5 with built in iSight came along.

you can watch your shared videos on another mac. although i would highly recommend the 802.11n if you plan on sharing videos wirelessly.

as for a second monitor, the iMac has a mini-DVI connector on the back, you can get adapters for use with VGA, full size DVI or S-video. i do not believe there is an HDMI adapter, unless you go from mini-DVI to full DVI to a DVI to HDMI adapter. which probably wouldnt be the best idea.

but yeah, im sure you will enjoy your iMac!