iMac 20" vs. 24"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ldog12395, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Ldog12395 macrumors member

Hello, i am looking to buy my first iMac but i can't decide on which size to get. I'm really thinking about the 20" but my cousin says that the 24" would be a better value for what i am getting. My cousin also says that he has heard some bad things about the 20" displays being bad and some lawsuits about it, and that there is only 10,000 colors on the 20" but like 6 million on the 24" (is this true? i highly doubt it). I feel like right now that 20" would be perfect for me because right now i have a 19" monitor and it is just right but then again there is alot of desk room toward the back that i could push my monitor back to make the 24" seem a little smaller. So what do you guys think i should buy, the 24" or the 20"?
    Thanks.

2. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

There are MILLIONS of colors on BOTH.

Go with the 20" if you think that works for you. Some people do say that the 24 is quite large. I think its awesome. To each his own.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Go 24". You're more likely to regret getting the smaller screen rather than the larger one.

4. Ldog12395 thread starter macrumors member

I dont think i would be regretting anything because i have never had a monitor larger than 19"

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

What your cousin is refering to is color dithering. Not quite as bad as he described. The 24" has the better monitor.

6. Ldog12395 thread starter macrumors member

7. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

the 24" is beautiful.

my girlfriend's mother has it and... wow it is breathtaking.

8. Ldog12395 thread starter macrumors member

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

10. Ldog12395 thread starter macrumors member

LoL, just realized that it is 2 feet, things gonna be huge. Thanks.

11. wildintheory macrumors newbie

Yes! But huge in a good way. I've had a 24" for over year and the screen size is one of my favorite things.

12. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

wow, you just ordered it?!?!

gosh thats quick. but GREAT choice. you will be sooooo happy.

13. Ldog12395 thread starter macrumors member

Ok sweet. My brother said i should have gotten the 20" because 24" will be too big, but i'll just have to get used to the 24" and get as far away from the screen as possible so it doesnt seem too big. The iMac is supposed to get here on saturday which is good because that is when my brother will be home from FSU because it is easter and he is going to fix my external HDD (never backs up, im on vista right now and it is just ultimately making me mad so thats one of the reasons why im going to the darkside) and try to help me set it up and get all the pictures on and stuff of that nature, but he has never used a mac and neither have I so we will see how it goes. Are they that hard to add pictures and music onto from an external HDD that was used on a PC? I know I could go to the apple store and let them set it up but i dont really feel like doing that because i would like to try and figure it out and the nearest apple store is 45 minutes away.