iMac 20" vs MacBook (white) trade.. or no?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Andy348, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Andy348 macrumors 6502

Specs:

2.1 Ghz
    4GB Ram
    120GB
    Combo drive
    144MB graphics
    White 13"
    +$300
    Applecare up in 1 month, eligibile for 3 yr

vs

iMac 20"
    2.66 Ghz
    2GB Ram
    320GB
    Superdrive
    256MB graphics
    Wired mouse & keyboard
    Applecare up in 6 months, eligible for 3 yr

Now it seems obvious that the iMac is better in terms of performance and everything but I really don't know what to do. I'm currently in grade 11 and I don't need to portability of the MacBook. I'd like to be able to run Steam through Parallels while on OS X without fans going up or lagging a bit and I'd like to be able to play CS in a partition on Windows. I really like desktops (I have a PC desktop) because I use it less, which is a good thing, and I enjoy it more with speakers and such. Next year I'll be going to cegep (quebec only thing, pretty much pre-university) where I'll want a laptop. What I figure is that I buy one of those Dell 10" things and hackintosh it and write my notes on there. My dad thinks that I shouldn't trade because I'm going to want a laptop really badly when I'm in cegep, but the netbook seems like a good median, with great battery life and Windows 7 or OS X.

Thoughts?

2. JessicaD macrumors newbie

Andy348,

If you would like to learn more about Windows 7 in an effort to help you with your deicision Microsoft does have a site with whitepapers, tutorials, walkthroughs and screen casts on all the “under the hood” features in Win 7. Check out the Springboard site for Windows 7 on TechNet here http://tinyurl.com/832nco

Jessica
    Microsoft Windows Client Team

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I'm using a hackintosh (dell mini 10v) and I love it. It's great for everything I do that's not on Adobe or Final Cut. I use mobileme, xmarks, and evernote to sync all the things I use on the go. With some patience and diligent shopping, I was able to pick up a color-cased, 160gb HD, 6-cell battery model at the dell outlet for $250 shipped (the mini9's, which are a bit small-screened for me, are on 2-day sale for $199 right now). I popped in a 2gb stick of RAM for $30 and it flies. If you can, I would recommend trying out the mini before you make the trade - that should make dad happy. He is, afterall, just trying to help you make the right call for the long term.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

That's a huge negative in my opinion. You're going to pay the other person an extra $300 for a desktop (when you already have a desktop)?

I'm confused. If you already have a PC desktop, why bother running Parallels or creating a partition for gaming? Surely your desktop would make a better gaming machine, and even if it doesn't at the moment, $300 can go a long ways to making it one (which is the equivalent amount you would have had to spend for the iMac).

Is there a particular reason you want to game on a Mac?
    With the additional $300 you're adding onto your macbook in order to secure the iMac, you could get yourself a decent netbook and still have a laptop for bigger projects. You will want a notebook if the cegep setting is anything like a typical university. A netbook is good for notes and daily tasks, but what about projects that require collaboration? Your little netbook can't always troop through those things wheras a macbook would be able to do far better.