iMac 20"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Zverinica, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Zverinica macrumors newbie

Hi! I'm new on MacRumors and I'm not native English speaker so excuse me with my mistakes and grammar. :eek:

Few weeks ago I was thinking of buying new PC for myself and then suddenly I realized that I can buy Mac :D (always when I see a Mac I have butterflys in my stomach). :apple:

So I looked in few Apple stores and I realized that I cannot get nothing special for my 1100€ :( There are a lot of shiny Macbooks (Pro) and 24" iMacs, Mac Pro, Macbook Air,... and they all cost 1100€+

Until I saw 20" iMac. It's so cute and adorable. With wireless mighty mouse and wireless keyboard it would be perfect.

And now I have a question for you folks. Would be this 20" model suitable for everyday usage and occasionall work with pictures? I know it doesn't have such a good LCD as 24" iMac but I think it's still good enought.

Like (for next 3-4years????):

Web, office, movies, torrents, music library (app. 10.000 mp3-s), family pictures,....

I know rumors with updating iMac line, but I think those computers are computers with soul and philosophy and people still use their 17" models, so I think it's not worth waiting and saving and upgrading... like in PC world? Am I wrong?

Thank you for reading this and maybe writting replies.

2. celticpride678

Hello, and welcome to the forums.

For what you will be doing, it should be fine. Are you planning to customize it (More RAM or bigger hard drive)?. I would suggest 4GB of RAM for picture editing.

3. Zverinica thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I'm thinking of upgrading it to 4GB for 60-70€.

4. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    Looking over the Deutsch store (it's the first one to come in mind while talking about EURO), I see you've got four options, not one o_O :

The 13" MacBook, upgraded to 4GB of RAM and a 250GB HDD. Should be OK if you're not doing things which require advanced hardware (heavy photo/audio editing or stuff like that), and it should last you 3 years on this basis.

Next comes the Mac Mini, of course. Upgrade it to 2.26Ghz of CPU speed, 4GB of DDR3 RAM (the MacBook has DDR2), and you get a shiny little toy to connect to your display (if you connect it to a TV, it can be used as a Media Center).

Your iMac, of course, which does pack some power, being the best choice you can make right now (fastest CPU, up to 8GB of RAM to be upgraded in time, and up to 1TB of space, again, to be upgraded in time, both from 3rd parties).

And of course, for +50, you can have the low-end 13" MacBook Pro, which has an aluminum unibody enclosure, can be upgraded to up to 8GB of DDR3 RAM, and can be taken with you anywhere. In your bed, on a trip, on classes (if you're still in that phase), and so on.

It's your choice, based on your needs.

5. celticpride678

Then you should be perfectly fine for a few years (at least).

6. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

The iMac would be perfect for you and unless your using Photoshop for your photo editing you don't necessarily need 4GB but it would be a good upgrade for later.

P.S. I'd still be using my 17" if I didn't use Final Cut Express on a regular basis

7. leandroc76 macrumors regular

I run PS3 and Aperture 2 full time. 1000 photo's at time. As a wedding photographer, my biggest concern was if it could handle the workload.

No problems. I have had the 20" iMac for two years and it is still chugging along. Mine of course is maxed out to just 3gigs of RAM, at that time it was the only amount that that model could handle.

To add to that: I shoot a RAW, my images are 12-15 megs a piece.

8. Zverinica thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac Mini is nice too. But configuration with 2,26 Ghz CPU would cost me 1000€ and I have to wait on it for 40 days :eek:

I was thinking also to buy Mini with 2.0Ghz CPU (basic config) and upgrade it to 500GB 7200rpm HDD and 4GB DDR3 RAM, total would be app. 800€, so I have enought for wireless keyboard and mouse and 1TB Time Capsule.

Laptops - I don't know actually, I never had one. There is bigger chance to drop it, scratch it,... Users also report that while MBP is plugged to external monitor it has to be opened for sufficent air cooling. On the other hand portability is a good think, but rain, snow, temperatures,... might damaged it earlier than desktop computer.

:confused:

9. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

Also remember you'd need to buy a monitor with a mac mini

10. Zverinica thread starter macrumors newbie

I already have an 20" PVA display 1680x1050 (old PC, but monitor is superb).

11. Zverinica thread starter macrumors newbie

Is 13" display big enought for normal work, like browsing web, mail, office??? If I would need bigger screen I have my 20" LCD.

Another question. Is the overall build quality (like LED display, battery, HDD, Motherboard, keyboard) the same in 2,53 and 2,26Ghz 13" MBP?

My brother have HP laptop with 2,20 CPU and I think that for my needs would 2,2 Ghz be enought. So I would buy 13" MBP and add 2x2GB DELL DDR3 RAM. I think this would be fast :rolleyes:, later when I will upgrade to Snow Leopard I maybe buy larger 320GB HDD. Maybe this is the best solution.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93