iMac 2006 17" With single line down screen.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Legacy, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Legacy macrumors 6502

Hi everyone. I have recently purchased an iMac 2006 from eBay with the following specs:

2.16GHz Core 2 Duo
    3GB RAM
    ATI Radeon X1600 128MB Graphics
    250GB 7200RPM HD
    Superdrive/Bluetooth/Wi-Fi

It has a single line down the screen. On black background it is yellow on a blue background it is white.

I only paid £120 including delivery for her, so a right bargain. Is there anything I can do about this line? Will it get any worse? At the moment, its fine really but I was just wondering if I could do anything to make sure it doesn't get worse.

Many thanks

2. Melbourne Park macrumors 6502

My son bought a cheapie, and it worked for 6 months, then the screen totally failed. It turned out that the fan was not functioning. It wasn't worth repairing.

Just make sure the fan is running. Some iMacs had screen faults that apple repaired ... not sure if you's is one of those. But if the fan is not keeping things cool, then you might have problems. There is software to control the fan speed ... commonly the sensor on the hard disk tells the computer its internal temperature. So my advise is to investigate that the fan is working, because IMO if you can keep the computer cool, it will go on and on.

3. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

This was a common fault on 2006 iMacs. I had mine replaced under AppleCare for this.

4. Legacy thread starter macrumors 6502

I am typing from the iMac. How can I check fan speed? All is absolutely fine apart from this - I was just hoping it wouldn't get any worse!

5. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

I have a 2006 iMac thats doing the same thing and its only going to get worse. I can't remember if it was the screen or the graphics card but there was a replacement program up until about a year ago. I doubt they'll replace it now, its so out of date.