iMac 2006: how to take CD-ROM out upon black screen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nemcuon, Jun 20, 2018.

1. nemcuon, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018

nemcuon macrumors newbie

iMac imac 20 /2.16ghz/1gb/250gb/SD/BT/AP

I am helping to fix the iMac for my neighbor: black screen ALL THE TIME, sound of HDD spinning upon startup, nothing responsive, and I only want to take the CD-ROM out of the CD reader because that's important.

I've searched through all kinds of "iMac 2006 black screen" and none the following work
    - Resetting NVRAM or SMC https://iosafe.com/helpdesk/kb/faq.php?id=14
    - Unplug and replug the 2 RAMs
    - Letting the fan working like crazy by pressing the power button together with plugging in the power cord.
    - Connecting to another screen (using the mini-DVI-to-HDMI cable)
    - Clicking the left mouse does not work. The problem is: iOS is not fully started, screen still black and I don't know what the status of the OS is.

I don't have an Apple keyboard, only have the Windows keyboard.

(Sorry that I have doubled the thread, since I want to retrieve the CD-ROM as soon as possible).

Thanks

2. chabig, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018

chabig macrumors 603

Start the computer while holding down the left mouse button. Keep holding it until the disc ejects. Note: This means press the mouse button before you push the power button, and keep holding.

Another way is to boot to the recovery partition (CMD-R) and use Disk Utility to eject the disc.

3. nemcuon thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, but "press the mouse button before you push the power button, and keep holding." does not work. I don't know what state does the Operating System arrive: HDD is spinning normally. Note that screen is blank, always blank.

how can I boot o the recovery partition if I don't see anything on the screen ?

4. chabig macrumors 603

If the mouse button doesn't work and the screen is always black, that might indicate a logic board failure or maybe a firmware failure. In any case, there is probably no software method you can use to get it out. Take if to an Apple store and have them do it. Or look for videos that show how to open the computer and hope to find an eject button on the drive itself. https://www.ifixit.com might be useful.