iMac 2007 Aluminum RAM Installation Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BigEd0079, Sep 8, 2009.

1. BigEd0079 macrumors newbie

I bought my aluminum imac when it was released in late 2007. I had a 1 gigabyte stick up until now, but I decided to upgrade to 2x2 gigabyte sticks.

When I took out the 1 stick and placed the new ones in, my computer would sound like it turned on, but the system really did not boot up. I have tried many configurations to see what the problem with the RAM is, and all I could figure out is that the computer will only boot up if the original 1 gig stick is in one slot. I checked both sticks with this, and they seem to register on my mac when I check the "About This Mac" section. Basically, I get a black screen if I use only a 2 gig stick, or both 2 gig sticks. I can have a maximum of 3 gigs so far, but I really would like all 4 that I paid for. I'm not so sure that it's a problem with the ram, especially because it is recognized by the system, but it can't boot up the system, so I am simply dumbfounded.

Anyone have an idea what the problem is? I just recently installed Snow Leopard prior to getting the RAM if that has any importance.

2. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

1. Did you get the correct RAM specs?

2. Did you buy a reputable brand?

3. BigEd0079 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, the computer reads the original and new sticks as DDR2 SDRAM with a speed of 667 MHZ. It was kingston memory, so I'm pretty sure it's as reputable as one can get.

It may be the specs, that may be why they can't boot the system without the original RAM included.

4. maniacfive macrumors newbie

maniacfive

I am having the same problem. My 2007 iMac came with 2x 1gb ram sticks. And i've today obtained 2x 2gb sticks from Crucial memory. With one, or both of the new sticks in either slot the mac wont boot, i can hear fans start up, and what sounds like a squeak, but no familiar mac tones or even warning tones.

The machine boots correctly with either 1 or both of the original sticks. As far as i can tell from the labels on the chips they are the correct spec.

Besides returning the chips for fresh ones I'm really at a loss as to what I could try to solve the problem. :-/