Imac 2007 stuck at grey screen, no start command works

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tuyp, Dec 28, 2014.

1. tuyp, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2014

tuyp macrumors newbie

I've got a 2007 IMac with a bootcamp partition for windows, while troubleshooting a network problem and switching between windows and mac for a couple of times the mac now is stuck at the grey startup screen.

None of the start up commands work. The mac was running yosemite without any problems so i can't use the install disc that came with it.

Does anyone know how i can perform a hardware check command or the boot from usb to work and has anyone heard of this before ( that none of the commands work ) the only commands that does seem to be doing something is the holding option key during startup. This results in the mouse arrow showing in the middle of the grey screen but after that nothing still. And the resetting pram worked because i had the startup chime turned off an it is now on again but the resetting did me no favors either.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated

2. UniDoubleU macrumors regular

UniDoubleU

Try to enter Recovery Mode?

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT4718

You can also use another Mac to make a USB Recovery Drive with the Utilities.

Here's how you use OS X Diagnostics Tool.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

If it's stuck at the Grey Screen without any audio warnings then I assume it's something OS X related. They should be some audio signals if it's hardware-related.

3. tuyp thread starter macrumors newbie

"You can also use another Mac to make a USB Recovery Drive with the Utilities."

How should i do that? i can't find anything like that in the programs folder. I can't boot my mac in safe mode or recovery mode because it just wont take. It stays on the grey screen.

4. UniDoubleU macrumors regular

UniDoubleU

I'll assume CMD + R while booting doesn't work then.

Here's what you need to create the Rocovery USB. You'll need a working Mac though. http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433

5. tuyp, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014

tuyp thread starter macrumors newbie

I did as you said and it did help a bit. I have run disc utility now but it says:"disc utility cant repair this disk..... disk, and restore your backed-up files."

don't really know what this means tough, i cant boot mac to transfer files so i guess thats out of the question..

6. tuyp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

I decided that since i havent really used the computer for anything serious for a couple of years the last backup from a year ago was good enough so i deleted the harddrive and reinstalled osx trough the uttility you suggested. It worked and the problem is now fixed, the bootcamp partition can also be reached now and nothing has changed there.

Thanks for your help :)

7. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Your internal HD has crashed and needs to be replaced. That is the next step.

8. UniDoubleU macrumors regular

UniDoubleU

Good to hear that all is OK now. How hope Disk Utility repairing drive and permissions work fine. You're all set after that.