iMac 2007 vs MacBook 2008

Discussion in 'iMac' started by alischmally, Jan 21, 2012.

1. alischmally macrumors newbie

Hey there!

I'm am totally clueless when it comes to how computers work, so I was hoping I could get some help!

I'm trying to figure out if the iMac will be an improvement from my MacBook. I bought it on eBay for decent money, so it's not gonna get here for a couple days.

The one thing I am interested to know if if the Sims will run well lol I know... ridiculous, but still!

My MacBook has: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, Intel GMA X3100 144 MB, and is running Lion.

The iMac has: 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, ATI RADEON HD 2400 XT, and is also running Lion.

Also, I have next to no idea what any of that means.... but I hope you do! Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The HD2400 is faster than the x3100, but it's still very slow.
    I would be looking for a newer iMac with at least the 2009 models with ATI 4670 if you want a real upgrade.

3. alischmally thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the info. Right now I run the game on the lowest graphic settings, but it still lags a bit.... Will the iMac at least help with the lag? I don't really care if the graphics need to be low for that. I just want the game to run smoother lol

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iMac should help. I have that same model. While it can't play the latest games nicely in Boot Camp, it can play the Sims pretty well.