iMac 2008 Black screen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lAnthonyl, Oct 6, 2012.

1. lAnthonyl macrumors newbie

lAnthonyl

I've been having trouble recently with my iMac 2008 model. About a month ago I had about 3 freezes, I think all 3 had frozen to a complete black screen, and or normally froze (where I could see the screen but not move the mouse and such) but now recently my iMac has just been freezing to a black screen. I think I found the culprit though, I've noticed it only goes to a black screen is when I go to watch a video, mainly on YouTube. It's whenever I begin to watch a video, or just even go to the video and it immediately goes black. Just about 5 minutes ago I opened up dashboard and it went black screen, so I'm assuming the thing that is causing this is maybe flash player or something on my mac? The only reason why I'm freaking out about this is, well it's a 2008 iMac so I doubt Apple can't do that much about it, and also I don't want this to happen if I'm working on important school work, video editing, and other things where if my iMac crashes during it, I'll die.

So, anyone know how to fix this problem?

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

It could be hardware or software related, lets assume it is software related.

Do you have a backup, if so I would recommend to make a backup.
    Login to another account, create a new one if there is non, look if you get the same there, if not there are issues in your normal account.

If it is still the same you could try to reapply an Apple software update, you can download them from Apple's site, I don't know which one you run(10.5-10.6-.107-10.8), you need to download the Combo version so you don't have to go through all the other ones.

If this does not work you could do a reinstall, back up and install a ne OS.

If it is still there you might have a hardware problem, you could download a AHT from Apple and run it, it will show if you have hardware problems.

If it is a hardware problem it might be the Graphic card.

3. lAnthonyl thread starter macrumors newbie

lAnthonyl

I've tried a re-install twice, I'm currently running snow leopard 10.6.8. I can't do the create a new account tip because these black screens don't happen everyday, they happen like maybe once or twice a week at random times, so I don't think that'll really help. I'll download AHT and let you know the results.

4. lAnthonyl thread starter macrumors newbie

lAnthonyl

Ok apparently AHT doesn't work for me, I followed the directions that apple gave me to do, reboot and hold down the D key, I've done that, all it does is load osx and nothing else. I've tried holding the D key before the chyme, still loads osx. I put in my SL dvd and held down the D key, still loads osx. What gives?

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

What about holding the option key.
    Did you download it or is it on the install disk?

6. harlex macrumors member

2008 imac black screen

Save your project for school on another drive then you know it is safe, don't upgrade the software you are using incase an upgrade may not work with your video files and any edit effects may be lost.

Completely reformat the machine and put the operating system back on, or you can remove programs one at a time and you then find you have removed the problem.

It seems like you may have a conflict with the graphics driver and that's probably where I would be looking, find out if that part of the software can be removed and then reinstall.

Harvey

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

He already did.

8. harlex macrumors member

iMac Black Screen

My apologise, although you have put the operating system on twice and presumably done any updates, this still seems to point to a graphics card problem, this may seem odd but whilst the screen is black have you tried tapped the computer to see if it comes back on possibly suggesting a loose connection.

But it seems like a failing graphics card.

9. lAnthonyl thread starter macrumors newbie

lAnthonyl

I've tried the option key as well, I've tried different combinations. I've never downloaded AHT and I assumed it was on my install disc of SL but I guess it's not. I'm just assuming it's my graphics card and there's something wrong with it, which sucks a lot because it'll probably cost a lot to repair...

10. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I just went over to Apple's site, it should be on iMac OS X Install Disc 1

If not then there is something fishy, just to be sure, you are sure it is the right disc you put in?

I think there is no standalone download, there is no link on Apple's site.

Edit: Have you tried a game, those also need the graphic card, if there are no freezes then maybe it is just software related.

11. lAnthonyl thread starter macrumors newbie

lAnthonyl

I just ordered a retail copy of SL is all I have. Not sure if I mentioned this but I bought this iMac 2008 from eBay about a month ago, it didn't come with any CDs. It came with leopard installed which is why I bought snow leopard and that came with 10.6.3, which I then upgraded to 10.6.8. Yes I've tried a game, I play minecraft on my iMac and I've never ran into any problems. Would I need to update my flash player on my iMac or something if it's a software issue?

12. lAnthonyl thread starter macrumors newbie

lAnthonyl

Update - I just called apple and ran through the applecare tech support, the lady had me do some boot options by holding down a certain set of keys and did a few other things, one thing she made me do is go into safe boot and have some repair thing go on and she said that should fix my black screen problem. Then she told me to monitor it for a few days, I'll monitor it for a whole week just to be safe, and if it doesn't go to a black screen through that time span, then I'm all set, and if it does, I'll need to call them back. So I guess I just need to play the waiting game for now, thank you guys for the help though! :)

13. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Hope it won't show up again, well as it seems like it is not Graphic card related.

Oh, and update flash.

Cheers

14. harlex macrumors member

2008 imac black screen

Pleased the you got the right help, and hopefully that has solved the problems without a graphic card problem.

Hope you have the time to let us all know on this thread after a week if the problem is cured.

15. lAnthonyl thread starter macrumors newbie

lAnthonyl

Thanks for the replies guys, and sorry this is so late and sorry to bump up this thread but it's been more than a week and it's been going pretty good, only had 1 problem and that was a blue screen freeze a couple of days ago. I'm not going to let that bother me since when I had those blue screen freezes before, black screen freezes would occur usually right after them but I've never had a freeze ever since. So, it is hard to pin-point what the main cause of these freezes are, even the applecare person was confused on what it was but I'm confident that I'm fine for now. Will come here for help if I have any future problems to see if you guys can help because you sure are supportive! :)