iMac 2008 Freezing?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lAnthonyl, Sep 25, 2012.

1. lAnthonyl macrumors newbie

lAnthonyl

I have been experiencing some freeze problems lately, actually in the past 2 weeks. I have had a total of 3 freezes, 2 were freezes where the screen either went completely white or a blue-ish color. The third freeze was when I was browsing through YouTube and it just randomly froze, I could see the screen and everything I was doing, but I couldn't move my mouse or do anything. I'm not entirely sure what is causing this so maybe you guys know? Any suggestions?

2. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Have you recently upgraded your OS?

Check out this thread and see it applies to you. I have a 2008 iMac and the video card is the same in both, and I was having the same problem. the fix suggested near the end of the thread worked perfectly for me.

3. lAnthonyl thread starter macrumors newbie

lAnthonyl

Yes I recently upgraded to Snow leopard...and you didn't post a link :p

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

5. lAnthonyl thread starter macrumors newbie

lAnthonyl

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's one of the two video cards with the GPU bug.

7. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Thanks Intell... yes, that was the thread I was referring to! That's what happens when you multi-task!

OP - if you just upgraded to SL there is a good chance that you too got bit by this bug. The fix involves installing a few kexts from 10.6.2, which is explained in detail in various posts in the thread.

You can also cut to the chase by going HERE:

http://blog.krzysztof-turek.com/apple-imac-8-1-freeze-problem-solution-en/

I remembered the link this time! ;)

8. lAnthonyl thread starter macrumors newbie

lAnthonyl

Thanks for the easy tutorial link Mike! I will try this out later today and will update you guys on if it worked, well I'm not sure if I can immediatley tell if you if the freezes stopped but you know ;)

9. lAnthonyl, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

lAnthonyl thread starter macrumors newbie

lAnthonyl

GUYS HELP! I finally did what you guys told me to do, well to go to that link and follow directions. I did everything correct from that tutorial, and it said it went fine. It told me to reboot, so I did that, it goes to the white apple logo screen, then a bunch of text pops up and tells me to reboot my computer. I rebooted my iMac like 5 times, and it still does the same thing - goes to the screen, codes show up, then it tells me to reboot. Please tell me you guys can fix this or know what the problem is.

EDIT: I've found out it was a kernel panic, I've tried to uninstall the kexts from terminal when I boot from my snow leopard CD but it keeps telling me it's an illegal action. I'm not sure if I'm using the right code for that, so if someone could give me the correct code to delete the kexts that would be great. I could only see the real fix in this is to reinstall SL but I havent made a time machine backup in a few weeks so that means I'll lose applications I installed, important photos and some music. PLEASE tell me there's a fix that doesnt require a reinstall...

10. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

I think you can install SL over a working copy of SL to bring it back to the original state, but don't quote me on that.

You forgot to do Step 1 of the procedure in the link I referenced..... :(

11. lAnthonyl, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012

lAnthonyl thread starter macrumors newbie

lAnthonyl

Yeah I was stupid for not following step 1, I just thought it wasn't neccesary since I didn't know the risks of what would happen if something went wrong (it would have been helpful if the person who made that fix note the possible consequences if something went wrong so then I would have made another backup on TM) so I thought that warning was just to be safe.

Anyways, I assume I just need to re-install SL, but the thing I want to try is to go to disk utility when I boot from my SL CD, then make a bootable image on my external hard drive, I read on an apple help page that I could make a bootable image using disk utility onto my external harddrive, then boot from there, and do a TM backup. Will that work or is there an easier way? I'm trying to beat around the bush and avoid backing up from my old TM backups, I REALLY don't want to lose my files since I would have no way to get them back.

Also if you're curious, safe mode won't boot either, it seems the kernel panic is a pain in the ass and won't allow anything to work properly.

EDIT - Found a person on apple community who wanted to install snow leopard over itself, like you said, and a person answered that you could. Link if you want to read that https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4096166?start=0&tstart=0 (I guess I should do that, seems like the easiest way out of this problem)

12. lAnthonyl thread starter macrumors newbie

lAnthonyl

UPDATE. So, I just bit the bullet and installed SL over SL and it worked fine, then I was able to backup my files and then did another re-install just to make sure everything is fine. So everything is back to normal and now I don't have to stress anymore, I just hope my iMac won't freeze again. Thanks for the help guys.