Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lAnthonyl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
U.S
I want to upgrade the ram in my iMac that currently has 2GB, I want to up it to 4GB. I ran the crucial memory scanner and it gave me the appropriate ram to buy, but it's pretty expensive. I usually use that scanner to find out what ram I need, then I head over to Amazon.com to grab one there for a cheaper price. It says I have "Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 (non-ECC)" and the best choice that is guaranteed to work with my iMac is "4GB kit (2GBx2), 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400 memory module" which is $60. I know I can find it cheaper on Amazon, but I couldn't find the same on there, or maybe I'm not searching deep enough. Could someone give me a link to a 4GB ram kit on Amazon that is compatible with my iMac? Thanks!

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
That looks to be about the going price for that style of RAM. Since it's a bit outdated now, prices won't be as low as the modern stuff that they are selling in much larger volumes.

FWIW, you can go to up to 6GB in that computer, look at Other World Computing for a kit - but it's $120. They also charge $60 for 4GB, so I'd go with someone like them or Crucial who guarantees compatibility. ie. see this option which is only $8 less but is flagged by users as 'not as described.' http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Modules-Macbook-KTA-MB800K2-4GR/dp/B001RMG62Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347975851&sr=8-1&keywords=imac+2008+ram

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
I checked and that seems to be about the price of it. $50 was as low as I found on a quick browse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.