iMac 2008 Upgrade Questions

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lAnthonyl, Sep 17, 2012.

1. lAnthonyl, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012

lAnthonyl macrumors newbie

lAnthonyl

I bought an iMac 2008 and got it in the mail today - I'm loving it so far (my first mac btw!) and I was curious on upgrading it. It came pre-installed with mac osx 10.5.8. I want to get mountain lion, but I need to get mac osx snow leopard 10.6 first in order to get mountain lion. I heard you can call apple and get snow leopard really cheap, I searched around amazon and ebay and they're really expensive for no reason. So is that the appropriate approach of upgrades or are those the right order? Also, when I upgrade, do I lose any files and such? I don't mind since I don't have that much files anyways since I just got my mac and the ones I have I can backup on my external harddrive. Any suggestions is appreciated!

2. cyclotron451 macrumors regular

cyclotron451

Hi lAnthonyl,
    well you probably have an iMac7,1 or 8,1 - from 2008. They work great.
    I've upgraded both of mine to at least 4GB RAM (the iMac8,1 is actually at 2GB+4GB) OSX10.6/7/8 all *need* as much RAM as possible.

You also *need* as you mentioned the external Apple formatted USB hard disk to give you Time Machine backups - this will ensure that any of your OS upgrades above Leopard have a copy of your files in the Time Machine to avoid losing data , as you asked. See Time Machine on Leopard

For the upgrade to Mountain Lion you might consider a genius bar appointment, would they be able to help you with a paid upgrade? Apple Store is bound to have a store copy of 10.6 for your iMac, for the 10 minutes it's needed?. Lion can be happily skipped, all my 2008 iMacs are running OS 10.8.2 very well, very snappily.

3. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

4. lAnthonyl, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012

lAnthonyl thread starter macrumors newbie

lAnthonyl

Thank you guys for the help and tips! I'll call my local Apple store and see if I can make an appointment with someone at the genius bar.

EDIT - I decided to call, and the guy on the phone told me I could buy a snow leopard CD for just $19.99, which is really awesome because I've seen people put up snow leopard on Amazon and eBay for $80! What a rip-off, I'm glad I called apple! lol

5. ricardopicozzi macrumors newbie

OS and Memory Upgrade

Anthony, for me here in Brazil was easy to request a Snow Leopard upgrade, I[ve paid U$25,00 for that and they sent me the CD via currier. I just have called the Brazil Apple Store for that.

Now I have a question to all regarding memory upgrades. I saw that the MAC supports up to 6GB, but I can't find anywhere to buy a 2GB + 4GB memory card. I only find 2X4GB or 2X2GB... so my questions is, if I buy 2X4GB would the iMac read up to 6MB at least...or he will not accept that and return an error. Weird question I know...