iMac 2008 upgrade to SSD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Dorkington, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

Heya... I've been thinking of switching to SSD in my iMac, but it's a process I don't want to do myself. Do you think Apple would install it if I gave them the iMac and the SSD drive? Or would they tell me to eff off since it's not an Apple product or approved change or whatever?

If they won't do it, would maybe a 3rd party Apple authorized repair place work?

Thanks in advance. :D

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you are replacing the HD with an SSD, then Apple might do it since it's not more than an HD upgrade (provided that you supply a 3.5" SSD or an enclosure). If you are replacing the ODD, then Apple probably won't do it as it's a modification.

Your best and only option is to contact them and ask. Each store (especially 3rd party stores) may have their own policy so it's hard for us to give a helpful answer.

3. Baunkjaer macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

Any specific reason, why you don´t do it yourself?
    It´s a 30 min project, and very easy.

4. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

i don't know if an apple store would provide this service if your product is no longer in warranty. but, like above poster said, call them and find out.

if you really can't DIY, then an authorized 3rd party apple reseller/service center will probably do that for you with a service fee. since you already have the ssd, then, i would expect to be billed only for the service provided, which is to replace the hdd with an ssd.

5. Dorkington thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't want to get dust on the lcd is the only reason.

6. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

just wipe it off. the lcd screen can handle it. the same for the glass screen. you might have to put the glass back in and out again a couple times to get rid of some of the peskier dust but that is about it. just be careful pulling it out, i guess. a small suction cup is also a good idea and was all i needed for my 20" imac. not sure about a 24" or 27...."

7. Baunkjaer macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

I´m allmost sure you can buy some compressed air on a can in DC. Here in Denmark we can :)
    I´ve done the HDD upgrade in both a 24" early 2009, and in my present iMac - and I´ve no dust.

8. Dorkington thread starter macrumors 6502a

The smartass comment isn't necessary.

I'm not technically illiterate, I've done plenty of internal modifications and repairs on many devices over the years. My apartment, unfortunately, is a giant dust magnet even with regular cleaning (I blame the building filters), to the point that the insides of the iMac gather dust and I get brown splotching on the LCD. I plan on taking it into Apple to have them clean it again, and was hoping they could do the HDD>SDD swap while doing it.

If they can't I'll check with a 3rd party vendor, and if they can't then, I'll do it myself and try to deal with the dust that will surely be there when I'm finished.

----------

This is good to know, I was unsure if it was a bare LCD or if it had a coating on it, I assume it has some coating/surface to it then?

9. Baunkjaer macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

Hey, I´m sorry. It wasn´t ment that way.

The front of the iMac is just ordinary glass. After it´s removed, you gain access to the LCD, which is coated - hence the glossy effect. It feels and acts like a ordinary LCD-screen.
    Even though your "dust-situation", I still think you should give it a try. In the other way, if you can have the job done, without paying a premium price, go for it.
    Either way it´s worth it. I´ll never use a mechanic harddrive again.
    Wish you good luck - and apologize for my stupid remark.

10. Dorkington thread starter macrumors 6502a

No problems, thanks for the follow up.

I'll definitely give it some research... hell, maybe I can clean my iMac out myself haha.

11. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

what I like to use when opening up imacs with glass panels is an AirCompressor not canned air, but an actual air compressor. It helps that it provides more power to clean off more of the display while reassembling the glass panel.

When the display is secured back in use a suction cup and grab the glass panel, while you are holding the glass panel spray the LCD & glass panel from an angle and quickly set the Glass panel back in and you shouldnt have much concern about dust getting in.

12. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

If you install SSD, it changes your machine and your life:D

13. excommie macrumors regular

Apple does not do any upgrades. They won't install a Hard drive / SSD. They'll replace it under warranty or for $$$ if it fails. That's the response I got from all apple stores in the Chicagoland area.