iMac 2009 -- all of a sudden disc drive won't work!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by eroxx, Sep 1, 2011.

1. eroxx macrumors 6502a

I just went to put a disc in the drive and nothing happened ... I thought maybe a disc was in it, but my computer doesn't show me anything in it, and when I hit eject nothing happens ... ????

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Try doing a PRAM reset and see if it helps. You might have a problem with the optical drive. The optical drive failed on my 2009 Mac-Mini without any warning. In my case, the drive would take in a DVD and then spit it out after about 30 seconds of trying to read it. Apple replaced the drive under my Applecare.

3. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

it won't take anything. It almost feels like something's in there, but I don't think there is. I'll google pram reset

----------

Nope, didn't do anything ... is there a manual release so I can know 100% there's nothing in there?

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

When you run Disk Utility does the Superdrive appear in the list of drives?

5. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Well, I suppose that doesn't rule out hardware failure, but it's a step in the right direction. Does Disk Utility show any media inserted in the drive? There is the rare occasion for me when Finder somehow doesn't and I have manually eject from Disk Utility.

7. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

It sounds like the slot loading mechanism may have failed in which case there won't be much you can do outside of replacement of the drive itself. Do you have Applecare?