iMac 2010 HD upgrade..which drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Failurbydesign, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Failurbydesign macrumors regular

Failurbydesign

My iMac currently has the ST3500418AS drive and i want to move to a 1.5-2tb drive. I know there are issues with the sensor and such so is there a known drive drive that will work or should i just use the temp program i keep reading about?

2. RedCroissant, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

RedCroissant Suspended

What's the specific model number and what are the specs of your machine? I'm not sure it really matters, but OWC is selling these Seagate drives that should work just fine for your machine:

ST3000DM001 3TB HDD $165.99

ST2000DM001 2TB HDD $126.99

And in case you want to make it easier, Best Buy has them priced comparably and the geek squad does a good job of installing it.

3. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Barring OWC selling you drives that will work with the sensor nonsense on those machines, I'm pretty sure you are SOL; ain't it great being an iMac customer?

You can probably get away with going to your Apple Authorized Service Provider, getting a drive that would've shipped in your generation and size of iMac and from the same manufacturer as your current drive, but larger, having them order that as a stocking part and then paying full price for that drive; but that's expensive and not necessarily fool-proof. Really, I have a long list of why the iMac is a terrible Mac and this beautifully illustrates just one of the reasons why. Then again, it's not like our mileage is much better on the MacBook Air and Retina MacBook Pro.

4. Failurbydesign thread starter macrumors regular

Failurbydesign

Yeah that's what I figured! The oem drive is way too expensive, so ill probably buy a seagate 2tb from newegg or something!

Thanks again!

5. bizzle macrumors 6502a

You can actually retrofit a 2010 iMac with a temperature sensor from the display for the hard drive. It's the older style probe type sensor. You tape it to the hard drive. Part number is 922-9167. I know 100% this works as I've done it on literally hundreds of iMacs. It passes AST, AHT and ASD with this method. You can then use any hard drive you want. You can easily find it online but it's a little overpriced. $24 was the lowest I could find.

http://applecomponents.com/items/922-9167_cable-temp-sensor-lcd/0000004392?pn=1&cmp=0172&per_page=30

Actual price from GSX is about half that, but obviously that is not an option for you.

6. Failurbydesign thread starter macrumors regular

Failurbydesign

Can you give me a little more info on the setup process for that part?

7. robvas macrumors 68020

I have SMC fan control + an automator script that contains this line:

/applications/smcfancontrol.app/Contents/resources/smc -k F1Mx -w 1200

Works great and costs nothing.

8. Failurbydesign thread starter macrumors regular

Failurbydesign

I ordered a seagate ST31500341AS. I'll try the method above and if I don't like the results I'll order that cable!

9. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Unplug the temp sensor that's installed now and plug in the one I recommended. Tape the probe to the hard drive around here

[​IMG]

10. Failurbydesign thread starter macrumors regular

Failurbydesign

I'm torn between the two options.

For those who use the apps, have there been any issues with hard drive failures to the heat?

11. Failurbydesign thread starter macrumors regular

Failurbydesign

Thanks! To be in the safe side what type of tape did you use?

12. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Kapton, but if you don't have any, scotch will probably work, but the heat may degrade the glue over time.

13. Parkin Pig macrumors 6502a

Parkin Pig

I've been looking to replace my iMac's hard drive for a while, whilst getting around Apple's attempts to stop user upgrades - thanks for the useful info in this thread!

I've also got a problem with the superdrive. Currently I have a music CD in there, but it refuses to eject or play it. Do you know of any way to physically force an eject? I've tried every keyboard method, and even the eject button that can be added to the finder menu bar. The drive sounds like it's trying to eject a disc, but nothing comes out. Any suggestions?

My iMac is a 27" Mid 2010 model

Cheers

14. Failurbydesign thread starter macrumors regular

Failurbydesign

Cool, I ordered the sensor and I'll pick up some tape! Thanks again for your help

15. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Only option is to take apart the iMac and remove the drive, remove the screws on the top of the drive and it pops off and you can extract the disk.

Also, this alternative temp sensor set up I recommended only works for PRE-2011 iMacs.

16. Failurbydesign, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

Failurbydesign thread starter macrumors regular

Failurbydesign

I couldn't find that tape, so i used 3m electrical tape..says it can take up to 172 degrees...lets hope It never gets that hot

17. Failurbydesign thread starter macrumors regular

Failurbydesign

So the sensor is in and I also have the smc running and the hd temp is always between 42c and 55c. Is this normal?

18. Parkin Pig macrumors 6502a

Parkin Pig

And again... thank you!