iMac 2010 i7 stuck on reboot cycle

Discussion in 'iMac' started by brucem91, Jun 20, 2011.

1. brucem91 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hello everyone. For the past few days my iMac has been stuck in a reboot cycle. The machine will boot up, stay on login screen (or if login the desktop), and roughly 10-20 seconds later will initiate a reboot. I found a fix, unfortunately it is a temporary one. It seems that if I reboot my iMac into safe boot I can sucessfully run a permissions verify and repair. That seems to fix it for roughly the next 2-3 boots, and then I am back to reboot cycle. Any advice? I really need my iMac this week due to the boat-load of cpu rendering I will need to do for my final project at school.

Thanks

BruceM

2. brucem91 thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone have any ideas? My iMac now seems to not even boot into safe boot.

3. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

4. brucem91 thread starter macrumors 6502

Possibly, but so far I've been unable to find my original restore disc or boot up my iMac with my 10.6.0 retail disc.

5. brucem91 thread starter macrumors 6502

Update: So two OS installs (update to lion, and then clean snow leopard install), and I am having boot issues again on the same machine. The boot doesn't cycle, but every few boots my iMac boots into Safe Mode. I would really not prefer to do another reinstallation at this time. Is their anything I can do other than the normal SMC reset, PRAM reset, or permissions check that I can do?

Thanks,

BruceM