iMac 2010 new hard drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jay007, Apr 17, 2012.

1. jay007 macrumors newbie

I have iMac "Core i3" 3.06 21.5-Inch (Mid-2010) with a faulty hard drive. i have replaced it with another WD 500gb but all i get is apple logo and fans going crazy. I read about the apple firmware and some people are using fan control software to control fans. I dont mind doing this but i cant boot off the mac cd. And yes i am pressing C to boot.

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

Search the forums for shorting out the thermal sensor that's attached to the HDD. A false reading usually results in the fans spinning like crazy.

3. jay007 thread starter macrumors newbie

The imac will boot off a windows 7 dvd no problem but will just sit on apple logo when Snow Lepoard DVD is in. The Snow Lepoard DVD is not scratched at all. Anyone any ideas as to what is happening????

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Make sure the SL disc that came with the machine is in the DVD drive, restart and when you hear the startup tone hold down the Option key, then choose the DVD, choose your language and then click the Utilities menu. Open Disk Utility, select the new HD, and format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with a GUID partition and click Format. Then exit DU, and resume the install.