iMac 2010. Slow as Dead!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by soamz, Nov 28, 2014.

1. soamz macrumors 6502a

I have a iMac 2010. See the config below attachment.
    Its slow as hell. Nothing happens at all. It just starts and shuts down fine. Everything else is totally dead.
    I thought, upgrading to Yosemite might fix it, but its still all the same.

A click takes 10 minutes to react and everything hangs all the time.
    Cant even open 2 apps together.

Cant type anywhere, nothing!

Whats the solution ?

For the first time, Im really annoyed with an apple product.

Attached Files:

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

1. Remove all Startup Items.
    2. Reset PRAM.
    3. Boot from a clean install.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Check to see what extensions are outdated.

:apple: / About this Mac / System Report / Software / Extentions

Try to disable anything outdated. Might have some stuff from 2007-2009 in there yet if you did an update.

Might also do the usual font check to see if there are old fonts causing problems.

Runs on a 2007 iMac without much issue, but the new Mac Mini had migration issues related to some old fonts and outdated extension -- don't think I have anything older than 2014 now.

4. soamz thread starter macrumors 6502a

1. All were removed. Nothing loads on startup.
    2. Do you mean, take our the RAM and install again ?
    3. So, boot as new completely ? I dont have a boot DVD anymore, can I do it by downloading the Yosemite again and make it as a bootable DVD ?

Im putting two more RAM, 2GB x 2GB to the two blank RAM spots and putting a SSD in place of the HDD. I guess, my system will be back to my rocket then.

5. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

No I mean a PRAM reset. Hold down Command-Option-P-R on startup until it reboots.

To perform a clean install boot into Recovery. Hold down Command-R on startup. Do it on another partition as a clean install does wipe the partition it's being installed on. You can copy and paste your files to the clean install from your old one if it does fix the problem.

6. rigormortis, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

when holding down Command-Option-P-R you should hold it down until you hear the chime 3 times

another thing you should try is resetting the SMC controller. clearing the PRAM does not clear the SMC. if your computer is having issues like acting like its busy when the cpu is idling. then the smc could be responsible

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

if your running yosemite, consider upgrading to 8 gigs.
    Yosemite likes to use all available memory in one big buffer to keep your system snappy
    and during the first few days or weeks of using Yosemite it might seem slower then it used to be
    but it gets better as os x learns what your doing

please go to activity montor and post screen captures of the CPU and MEMORY screens.

if MEMORY is green and LOW your memory is fine and you don't need to upgrade

if your activity monitor shows 4 gigs and 3 gigs used, thats just yosemite optimizing the memory to make your system operate better

what u need to see is if its using a lot of virtual memory , swap space used / a lot of comrpessed ram.

it seems to me that yosemite resets the application caches. and this can be the cause of the slow down. I've noticed after I've used my mac mini 2014, its gotten better. i think this because of the application caches being built

another thing could be file vault 2. yosemite likes to turn it on by default. and ti could be encrypting in the background. or slowing down your mac, because it has to decrypt on the fly.

when you see it stalling and beach balling, stick your mac to your ear, do you hear any clicking noises of the hard disk??? or grinding noises??

consider running apple hardware test in extended mode to rule out bad ram

check umm system prefernces, user & groups, login items for anything that shouldn't be there

reset safari

----------

before erasing your hard disk and reinstalling the operating system, try applejack. you can get applejack from source forge.

http://applejack.sourceforge.net/man.html

i don't know how apple jack runs on filevault 2.

once you install it, you hold down command and S keys during boot and then type
    applejack AUTO this will force applejack to do a deep cleaning

this will get rid of all your application caches, check the disk, check permissions. check preference files.. this hasn't been updated since 2006, but its still works good

I'm thinking if you have file vault on, you can go to terminal and type
    sudo fdsetup authrestart

this will copy the decryption key in ram and allow you to boot in command - s mode.

oh yeah that's called single user mode! and that should allow you to run applejack

7. rigormortis, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

if your going to erase and install Yosemite , make a usb flash drive out of the installer
    http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/16/make-os-x-yosemite-boot-install-drive/

if your mac has a sd card, consider using a class 10 sd card to install yosetmite.
    usb keys suck and you never know how fast they are. and if it boots from class 10 sd card it will make the install go faster.

or u can use a regular hard disk that u don't need anymore

before those directions came out , people would just use disk utility to write the dmg inside the app to usb, and it causes the install to get all funky

booting recovery mode to install os x, may cause your mac to install the operating system it came with, thus making you install yosemite all over again

when installing Yosemite clean it will do the following:

use your iCloud password as your desktop password. a lot of people don't notice the checkbox during install and wonder what their password is!

it will turn on filevault by default. its up to you if you want your entire hard disk encrypted by default or not

but i think this doesn't happen when you restore from time machine so
    make sure u run time machine before you do anything