iMac 2010 ssd upgrade on the cheap

Discussion in 'iMac' started by buywisdom, May 22, 2012.

1. buywisdom macrumors member

Just wanted to let everyone know that upgraded my 2010 iMac with a 120GB ssd from OCZ Vertex 3 and put in a 3TB Seagate.

This upgrade was done with velcro (instead of the mount), a SATA power split cable (for the second drive) and a regular SATA data cable this is the cheapest parts (~10USD for all three) no need to buy any special parts from used mac or any of the like sites. I could not get the temp cable to attach to the Seagate different pins but this can be regulated through software (hddfancontrol) and Trim can be enable through some terminal commands (http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/).

This was a hard upgrade but by no means impossible. It took me 3 hours and I had never opened any iMacs. If you are debating buying a new computer or upgrading go for the upgrade. The SSD has given new life to my iMac. It feels much snappier having OSX and my programs on the ssd and data on the HDD.

Total cost under 330 USD

2. thestickman macrumors regular

Installed same SSD into my 2010 iMac and secured it in place with Velcro. Got TRIM working & spent thirty bucks on fan control software I left the optical drive alone. Feel like my system, barring a major tech advance has another five years or more in it.:D

3. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

What's the process of actually setting it up to use the SSD for the OS and apps and the HDD for everything else? I've had some trouble finding an explanation of this exactly on the Internet.

4. buywisdom thread starter macrumors member

5. goRoostr macrumors member

Easiest way to do it is buy a cheap external drive, have time machine run. Once time machine is done, install the new SSD drive. Once installed, install Lion from a time machine backup. Will look like you never left your old drive. Plus, you can keep the external drive for future backups, which is smart.

6. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

Awesome, Thanks! Easier than I thought.

7. EricT43 macrumors regular

I went through the same thing recently. Here's a big post about it:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1366684