iMac 2010, still running brand new

Discussion in 'iMac' started by shenfrey, Jun 21, 2013.

1. shenfrey macrumors 68000

I just wanna say that I use my iMac everyday, I never turn it off except under very rare circumstances and I always make sure that its up date.

After 3 years of constant use and constant power, it still runs so perfectly well and I am astounded. I don't do much except for browser the web, listen to music and occasionally make and edit movies, yet it still runs so smooth and so brand new that I am still in love with it.

My concerns were that as newer operations systems come out and more updates get released to software, my iMac would become less and less obsolete due to the lack of power - It is only running a C2D. However, so far it has not been the case, and if anything dare I say, it's running even faster then it use to!

There is no point to the thread except to hopefully boast about how great these machines are and encourage new buyers to make the plunge, you will NOT regret it : )

Thank you!

2. dwarnecke11 macrumors 6502

Same experience with my 2010 iMac. Nothing seems to trip it up. My last "new" Mac was a Mac mini G4 I bought in 2005. Right away I was aware of its limitations. It would rev up its fan simply watching a YouTube video. Even so, it lasted me 5.5 years, perfectly reliable and I was able to get $200 for it.

My iMac gets mostly web, Minecraft and Lightroom use, but it's nice having the i7 for those rare moments when I render something in Cinema 4D or convert a movie in Handbrake.

It really seems the limiting factor is going to be reliability (I'm looking at you, hot-running HD!). I'm hoping this iMac can last me until Apple offers a Retina display-equipped, all-SSD 27" iMac :D

3. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

4. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

My mid 2010 iMac is also running well. Wouldn't mind an SSD though. iPhoto could do with a kick up the arse. :)

5. bsizz234 macrumors member

Me too, although mind gets heavier use fairly often- mostly Photoshop, LR, and inDesign, but a bit of Premier Pro and Illustrator use as well. As well as the occasional handbrake, etc. Runs like a champ. The ONLY reason I would upgrade would be to get Thunderbolt, and add a TB display for more screen space. Then again, I could do that anyway and just use it as a miniDP display...

6. dwarnecke11 macrumors 6502

Thunderbolt is tempting - probably the most meaningful addition to the iMac since ours were released. I'm getting by fine with my FW800-connected LaCie Quadra 1TB drive for backups and media storage though. It's very quick.

7. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

I highly recommend the SSD. I did that on mine and it screams. One bounce when opening apps, if that. No beach balls ever.

8. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

9. torana355 macrumors 68020

I passed my 2008 iMac onto my parents after fitting a Samsung 830 SSD and it still runs as new, it also never gets shut down.

10. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

my 2010 is running well now too

My mid 2010 was slow when the hard drive was a third full with movies and such, but the following tweaks make it run so much faster now:

Deleting 80gb of movies
    Adding 8GB RAM (total 12GB)
    Upgrading to Mountain Lion

The glossy screen is my only quibble now.

It took me awhile to warm up to the skinny 2012 design, but the screens are a big improvement. I hope this will hang in until the iMacs go Retina.