iMac 2011 21.5" for Gaming

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ranny2, Sep 18, 2011.

1. ranny2 macrumors member

Hello,
    I had a plan which I was about to go ahead with, which involved getting the 2011 2.3GHz Mac Mini + monitor, mouse and keyboard. This was going to cost me £650.
    However, I have recently found quite a love for gaming - I do it a lot on my iPad, however due to certain circumstances, I am not able to get a games console.
    So, I considered getting the baseline 2011 21.5" iMac instead so I could play games on that.
    I would run Windows on it using bootcamp, and would then probably buy an xBox 360 controller for it. My question today, is how good is this iMac for gaming?
    How would it perform in games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Battlefield 3, Dirt 3 etc.
    If you have any, some gaming benchmarks, EG/ framerates for the games above would be incredibly helpful.
    Thank you so much for your time in answering this question.

2. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Admittedly I have a slightly upgraded version (specs in my signature) but it games perfectly well. While I have never tried the games you listed if you check their system requirements I'm sure everything is fine. I know on mine I can run the two portal games and TF2 at nearly all highest settings without it even slowing down a bit.

One thing to keep in mind while gaming on an iMac though is heat. As with anything GPU intensive on an iMac, gaming can and will bump your temps up pretty high. To the point the back of the iMac is actually hot to the touch. It won't overheat, just keep in mind to have the iMac in a cool enough location.