imac 2011 21.5 vs Gaming!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sora's Nobody, May 3, 2011.

1. Sora's Nobody, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011

Sora's Nobody macrumors newbie

Hello! I am most likely buying the new iMac. I will be Programming, using adobe software, autodesk software.

But i also need it to be able to run games. The games in particular are Portal 1 & 2 and Minecraft.

So my question is, will the lower end imac 2011 be able to run these games - Well? Those games are really all i need to play, well actually others would be nice, but those are my basic needs.

I can afford another of the models, but if i do, i won't enough for a wacom tablet. Which i kinda would like. But if completely nescessary and if i squeeze every penny i can potentially afford the 27" imac High-End. Nope, 27" Lower end. Do you think that's necesarry?

2. Chris5488 macrumors regular

Minecraft and the Portals... pfft is that all? :D

The iMac will laugh at it... Minecraft is more RAM demanding, Portal 1 can be played for years on the iMacs and Portal 2 isn't that demanding either. You'll be fine with the 2011 21.5" iMac

3. shtoat macrumors member

4. odj310388 macrumors member

I have a Macbook Pro 2007 with a Nvidia 8600M GT card and it plays portal 1 and 2 and minecraft with ease. If I went and bought a new iMac 4 years later and it couldn't play those I'd ask Apple for a refund. ;)

5. Kajover macrumors member

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Take a look at the HD 6570 and HD 6850. On the desktop that is.

7. bdmst16 macrumors newbie

Kinda disappointed with the benchmarks on the 6770m (6570). It looks like it "can" play most beefy games at an acceptable rate - but nothing to brag about. My concern is if it can barely hang (Crysis Warhead, Metro 2033, Civ 5) what is it going to look like a couple years down the road?

The think that sucks is I have no choice with the GPU - do to the kitchen layout I'm forced with the 21.5" - I would upgrade to the 6970m in a heartbeat if it was an option.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4278/amds-radeon-hd-6670-radeon-hd-6570/4

8. NeverusedaMac macrumors newbie

Black ops on Imac 21.5" 2011 model (Cheap one)

Can i play Fps Games like all the cod series on the cheap version of imac 2011 model. I have a hard time choosing between the imac or just build a really sick pc my selfe for the same price. I was originally gonna buy the imac to make videos on and stuff like that, but i think i kinda want a pc i can play fps games on aswell. So the question is if i should buy the imac or build a pc my selfe. Need help from someone who has more experience with imacs then myselfe.

9. Nyalotha macrumors member

As someone who plays A LOT of Fps games and knows that a fraction of a second can make big difference, no I don't think it can handle blackops/the next CoD (ON FULL)

however if you're looking to play on high/medium/some low, its fantastic.

10. NeverusedaMac macrumors newbie

OK, thanks for the reply. I have been thinking alot the last couple of days and i was originally going to buy it so i could edit gameplay from my xbox, but since so many friends of mine told me that i should build my own i guess i got kinda confused about what i wanted, but i guess if i can play games like minecraft on full??? I still want to buy it. I do not really care about playing black ops, mw2 or any other new cod games on pc anyway. I think that the only thing i want the imac to be able is to play simple games like minecraft so i have something to do when i am bored or tired of editing.
    I would appreciated if i got some response to this aswell. :)

11. Nyalotha macrumors member

Minecraft on FULL is easy as pie :)