iMac 2011 27" (emc 2429) graphics card 6970m 1Gb -> 6970m 2Gb

Discussion in 'iMac' started by django_, Oct 4, 2015.

1. django_ macrumors newbie

Hi

I need some help from you guys. I have iMac 2011 27" (emc 2429) and graphics card is not fully functional anymore. It gives up if there is graphics stress. I went to official mac repair and they said that graphics card is the problem. But it was very expensive to replace there so I decided to give a try myself. I am pretty familiar with replacing parts on iMacs. Story continues so that I bought 2Gb graphics card with same chip (6970m) as my old card. But when I insert new card screen is completely black. I have reseted NVRAM. If I replace new card with my old faulty one it works (short time before stress). Dealer is sure (and tested) that new card is not faulty.

Any ideas could there be some driver issue or anything like that? Even if screen is black computer turns on normally. If I press volume up/down buttons volume is adjusted.

Thanks if you have time to help...

2. chscag macrumors 68000

Off hand, I would guess the card you bought is not compatible. It may have the same chipset but that does not guaranty compatibility. Why not get an exact replacement? Also, my understanding is that those cards are fairly expensive, hopefully your dealer will give you a refund.

3. django_ thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

Thanks you for reply. Well, I am working with two monitors and doing image and video editing. So I thought that 2Gb card could deliver some performance improvement. Then 2Gb card was available in reasonable price with fast delivery. I did not know about compatibility issues if same chipset is used. Card seller is active and helps me with issues so we can work it out without problems I think. But would like to get this card working...