iMac 2011 27-Inch SSD Replacement

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jaali, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Jaali macrumors newbie

I am attempting to replace the SSD in my 27-inch 2011 27-inch iMac (EMC2429). Everywhere I search, it only shows me how to replace the HDD or the SuperDrive in order to add in an SSD. This was bought from Apple with an SSD, but I don't know where it is! When I have opened up the computer, it is quite clear where the HDD is, but not where the SSD is.

According to EveryMac, is it replaceable:

"This iMac has an extra 6 Gb/s Serial ATA connector and power for the optional SSD, but if one is not installed at the time the system is purchased the connector cables and mounting bracket are not present. Nevertheless, it is possible to install a 2.5" SSD in addition to the hard drive if an SSD is not installed initially it's just a bit of a hack"​

Has anyone replaced the SSD that came out of the box with this iMac? If so, where is it?!

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Did you order it with both an SSD and a HDD from the beginning, as that is not clear to me?

3. Jaali thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, it was the SSD that was out of the box. Apple installed.

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Give OWC (www.macsales.com) a call and they can probably tell you, either that or call an Apple Authorized Service Provider in your area

5. Jaali thread starter macrumors newbie

Found it. For those who are wondering, it's under the Optical Drive. Simply remove this, and you'll be able to replace the SSD.