Imac 2011 27 Inch White Pixel

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Rasan, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Rasan macrumors member

Hello,

a few weeks ago i got my first mac, an 27 inch Imac (base 2011 model). I really like it, but a few days ago i noticed a white Pixel. I can only see it on black or dark coloured Backgrounds, and its not really a huge deal, but as the machine is new it does disturb me. I tried a Pixelfixer application with the color flashing for several hours, but it did not help.

Is there a way to fix this by myself? I wanna avoid taking it to an applestore as it is my only computer right now. If i cannot fix it myself, will apple take care of it for free?

Thanks alot.

2. smartbot macrumors member

smartbot

I had the same issue with my 21.5" and I setup an appointment with the Genius Bar at Apple. The tech said they don't usually replace the iMac if only one pixel is dead (I think there has to be multiple pixels). But I also had some yellowing on the screen, so they ended up giving me a new one.

As a side note, the second 21.5" also did not work (had another dead pixel). So I gave the 27" a try and it seems to be ok so far. I guess it's really random... I would keep exchanging until you get one that you like.

3. Rasan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your answer!

Hm i may give the applestore a try when i have my new Laptop...

Is a white Pixel a dead Pixel? Ive read that if the pixel is not black, its not dead, only stuck. Also that a stuck Pixel could be fixed by putting a little pressure on the spot, is that true?

4. apw100 macrumors regular

Its very unlikely that you will be able to fix a "stuck" or dead pixel.