iMac 2011 27" (Thunderbolt) - Can you use it as a external screen?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sylonien, May 22, 2011.

1. Sylonien macrumors regular

Sylonien

Can you use the display (27") like a normal external monitor like before (via the Display Port)?

Now that it's gone, and switched to Thunderbolt. Will it still be possible to connect an external device to it and use the screen?

I understand that you can still use it as another screen with the new Macbook Pro's which has Thunderbolt.

2. Icy1007 macrumors 65816

Icy1007

From what I've heard, only devices with Thunderbolt can use the 27" iMac as an external screen, only the 2011 MacBook Pros at the moment. There will more than likely be adaptors released shortly that will convert HDMI/DVI/etc. to Thunderbolt.

3. MH01 Suspended

MH01

4. Sylonien thread starter macrumors regular

Sylonien

Man that's annoying (for now). Cause it would be perfect to use it as another screen for another rig.

So you reckon you will actually need an adapter with electronics in it rather than a simple cable e.g. HDMI / DVI -> Thunderbolt. Just guessing what the cost will be like.

5. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

The KB says that it just has to be another Thunderbolt-equipped PC on the other end, so wouldn't another iMac do the trick?

6. Bat6111 macrumors member

Bat6111

from what I have tried its not working as I talked to Technical Support, they said I have to wait for a new cord that works with thunderbolt port. So, for the Belkin mini DVI to mini DVI just only transfer a video output but not transfer input.

From my set up I have 3 iMacs and on the left and right side are the model from last year and they work fine with the video input but at the middle one is the latest iMac. it doesn't work with the video input from the other 2.

Attached Files:

7. Sylonien, May 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 23, 2011

Sylonien thread starter macrumors regular

Sylonien

:eek: that's one crazy set up their. Shocked me a bit then when I saw it! What mounts do you use, seems like they're floating.

So "if" they release a DVI to Thunderbolt cable then you can use the new 2011 iMac screen as an external screen again like before?

Found this but obviously won't work with the new iMac. Hopefully they will, release something for the new Mac in the near future. Any reason why it can work up to 720p with this little gadget? Just wondering if it's the limitation of this product or just that the iMac limits the resolution on external devices?

http://www.drbottkg.com/prod/DigitalVideoLink.html

Attached Files:

8. sk8r1230 macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

9. Bat6111, May 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 23, 2011

Bat6111 macrumors member

Bat6111

Im using the Chief Manufacturing, its 2 of KTP225 Series connect both arrays together with KTA1001S.