iMac 2011 - BYO RAM / Warranty

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ram4apple, May 6, 2011.

1. ram4apple macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    First time posting here.
    After deciding to jump to the Mac World... just visited
    The apple store and the guy tells me that if I put RAM other than what apple's BTO options provide then the warranty is void if anything goes wrong with the iMac....is this true ? Has anybody experience problems with apple warranty with BYO RAM ?

Any suggestions?... Has this policy been changed for the 2011 iMac's ?

I would like to go with 4x 4gb kit on OWC.

any advice is much appreciated

Thank you....

Ram.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That's not true. Apple won't cover the RAM that you put in it, but since it is a user-replaceable part, they can't void your warranty for replacing it. Apple store employees are clueless about warranties.

3. kevin2223 macrumors member

There is a very slim chance anything goes wrong with the iMac by installing RAM. If anything, you could always re-install the Apple-supplied RAM and have them service it - they would not be able to reject your warranty. I could only see them voiding the warranty if you physically damaged the computer when upgrading, and there is a very slim chance of that. After all, 8 pages of the iMac manual are dedicated to helping a user add more memory.

Little benefit to buying RAM from Apple as you can get more for a cheaper price (like OWC). Most include a lifetime warranty.

As per the AppleCare Agreement: "An AirPort Extreme Card, an AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme Base Station, Time Capsule, an Apple-branded DVI to ADC display adapter, Apple RAM modules and MacBook Air SuperDrive are also covered under APP if used with the compatible Covered Equipment and originally purchased by you up to two years before your Mac purchase or during the term of your APP."

4. Vylen macrumors 65816

The warranty is void if something goes wrong from you incorrectly installing the RAM.

Apple Care terms and conditions are pretty much worded that way. They do not cover damage caused from an untrained person installing things into the machine.

So, if you don't damage the machine while installing the RAM, there's no problem.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

To add, the RAM install is cake, so no need to worry too much about that as long as you're not careless.

6. ram4apple thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys, for all your replies. going to the Apple Store on Sunday and getting it.