iMac 2011: CPU+GPU Update

Discussion in 'iMac' started by marian1292, May 11, 2015.

1. marian1292 macrumors newbie

HI! i read this topic today..
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1596614
    i want to update my cpu as well as GPU:
    I have iMac 2011 21,5" 2.5ghz etc... with AMD readon 6750m 512mb.

Which graphic card is supported? I want to see my iMac working normally after instalation . What i need to do to? Just put my graphic card inside instead my old card? Or should i install something? Price limit is something around 300$

Next think is processor. I think, that i7 2600 would be great :) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Core...item2ee115c7b1
    is it possible to chance it? Would temperatures be ok? Should i install something (fimrware or i dont know what) after putting it on place?

Thanks for answers :)

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

IMHO it would be much wiser to purchase a refurbished current model iMac rather than spend hundreds upgrading a 2011. If you were doing a simple SSD install then I would recommend it but attempting to upgrade the GPU and CPU on a 2011 simply does not make a lot of sense.

Look into Apple's refurbished store, you can find the link on the home page of their online store. If you don't see a configuration you like, then check often because inventory changes very frequently!

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Many of us have done this upgrade. And it certainly makes sense - spending $300 can transform his machine into something that would cost him thousands new.

There are certain limits. You are restricted to CPUs that apple shipped unless you want to run into problems (some work, but some have issues booting) and with graphics cards - it has to be an apple card (or have apple's vbios flashed, which is not easy).

The 2600 will work, and is a great upgrade from the base i5 they shipped. That, plus 16/32GB of RAM and an SSD will provide you with a really nice machine for a few hundred.