iMac 2011 DIY replacement of the HDD with a SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DaveTheGrey, Jun 8, 2011.

1. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

Hi MR,

Just some questions to you "2011 iMac SSD upgrade diy veterans"
    My config: base 2011 iMac with 1TB HDD

1. When I would replace the HDD with a SSD, what kind of parts would I need (3,5 Inch brackets or sth?)
    2. What steps would I have to do in order to replace it myself
    3. How quiet would my iMac be without an HDD (I'm not sure if the sound that I'm hearing at the moment comes from the HDD or the fans....)

Thanks

Dave

2. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

The following post on the main iMac forum page should help you out:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1148641

3. DaveTheGrey thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

4. amd is the best macrumors member

Subsribing! Awesome info in this thread. I plan to put an SSD in my 27" i7 iMac ASAP. It's crazy when my new MBA loads software and boots faster then the i7.

5. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

Here is a post I did a moth ago, hope it helps.

I've just finished swap out the 1TB hard drive with a ssd on a 2011 27" imac. The whole process took 20 mins with another pair of hands to help with the screen. It was very straight forward following first 3 steps in this guide:

http://blog.chargedpc.com/2011/05/2011-imac-ssd-install-guide.html

There are two metallic sliver stickers (shield for the camera) on either side of the camera you need to peel half way off before remove the screen. The guide did not mention this, and I think if you tear it, there might be issues if you bring the machine to Apple repair.

I didn't notice any extra temperature pins, and the hard drive fan is working as normal according to istat menu and fan control.

The fan speed is around 1500 rpm, I'm unable to change the speed after the swap. Also istat is reporting the temperature of the had is 3 degrees celsius, fan control seems to reporting the hd temp as before.

There was an error with Apple Hardware Test I did afterword 4SNS/1/40000000:TH00-9.592. But since everything is working as normal, I'm not going to worry about it.

I'm currently using the stock 1TB HD with Firewire adapter next the the imac, that thing make more noise than all the imac fans.

EDIT:
    Parts used:

1 X suction Cup (the same as in the guide)
    1 X 3.5" to 2.5" hard drive mount bracket (very cheap, you can get in any computer online supply shop)
    1 X can of compassed air and large microfiber cloth (used to clear any dusts between glass and screen)
    1 X 256Gb Crucial c300 ssd (one of last year's top dog, still faster than ssd in Apple BTO)
    Some latex gloves

Total cost of £270 plus 20 mins of my time and a beer for the extra pair of hands. This compared to £480 Apple BTO price for a slower SSD + 1TB HD.

I think this is the best solution if you don't want to pay through the nose for Apple BTO and not confident to take the imac's guts apart to add an extra hard drive.

Hard drive fan works fine in Bootcamp as well after install drivers and restart.

6. amd is the best macrumors member

Thanks for the great post! I would like to keep the 1TB disc internal as a secondary drive to my SSD if possible. I should be able to figure it out once I get it all opened up.