iMac 2011 gamers MUST READ

Discussion in 'iMac' started by A Macbook Pro, Jul 28, 2011.

1. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

AMD have just released brand new driver version 11.8 for the range of graphics cards the 2011 iMac uses. It brings gains of 10% in Crysis 2 and increases performance in other games as well. Finally I am running the game smoothly at over 35fps on the very high setting while slightly overclocked. The download link is here.

Enjoy!

2. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

It still won't download. It still says my hardware/software is incompatible.

Edit: That link you provided isn't for the Mobility drivers, are they? The Mobility drivers is still at 11.7?

3. A Macbook Pro thread starter macrumors 6502

You have to have Windows 64-bit, maybe that's why. They worked on my iMac using the 6970M with 2GB VRAM so I assume it'll work for all other 2011 iMacs also.

4. Dresevski macrumors 6502

Just installed this and it was fine. 100MB+ download instead of the 1.1MB. It seems like it's the 11.8 preview and includes 11.7?

5. DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

its good news, i knew the graphics cards would get an update to make them faster

6. tasty-the-dog macrumors newbie

Thanks for this, I just downloaded. It installed the catalyst control center and as I was playing around in there I found the AMD Overdrive page. Is it safe on iMac to turn this on not enable manual fan control? I've never overclocked a computer (this is my first PC experience in many years) and I don't want to mess anything up. It won't let me manually adjust fan speed, but I'm scared to turn Overdrive on and leave the fan on auto since it's an iMac and I don't know if Windows has that much control over the Mac hardware. Thanks for any help.

7. electricdreams macrumors member

I just dl the 1.1meg file... and installed it, using Win7 64bit Ultimate
    is that all I need to do to upgrade?

thanks!

8. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

Previously I was running Catalyst Controller 11.7 with modded driver 8.871 with no overclocking or anything. I've now installed Catalyst Controller 11.8 with driver 8.880.3.0 and basically getting pretty similar results when I 3DMark Vantage Benchmark test it (just download the basic trial version if you want to see your Benchmark score).

Anyway, just for reference I scored the following:

3DMark Score 13680 3DMarks
    Graphics Score 11992
    CPU Score 23671
    Jane Nash 35 FPS
    New Calico 34 FPS
    AI Test 3259 operations/s
    Physics Test 31 operations/s

I'd be interested to see what kind of results others are seeing with this new driver

9. Ben Simpsy macrumors newbie

excuse the stupid question, once i install the drivers, does that affect the card only in windows?

10. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

Installing this driver will only effect your Windows GPU driver and have no impact on the Apple side of things.

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Does This Update

Apply to my 2GB Radeon?

12. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

Yes, applies to the ATI/AMD HD 6970 GPU found in the 2011 higher end iMacs.

13. thisisanacc macrumors newbie

I successfully installed this driver in the bootcamp windows 7 64 bit and it runs with no problem. While I turn on the parallel desktops with this bootcamp, it said something about not support and the 3D setting in the CCC has gone. I wonder if parallel desktops does not support CCC. Thank you for any replies.

14. puraw macrumors newbie

works sort of

Downloaded the driver. It works! The CCC overdrive doesn't show a correct temp reading and i can not manually control the computer fans.