iMac 2011 GPU replacment!!!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by prism, Jul 5, 2012.

1. prism macrumors 6502a

2. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, so I can safely assume nobody gives a rats a-s

3. Dillus macrumors member

Just because there is an iMac with a geforce 6970 and it would physically fit into your iMac, I wouldn't automatically conclude that it is upgradeable. I remember reading an article about someone trying to upgrade their i5 iMac to an i7 processor, and failing, eventhough they were using exactly the same processor built into the i7 iMacs. Apple must have some kind of restriction in place to keep people from upgrading CPU, and the same may be true for GPU.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iMac video cards can only be upgraded with the video card from the same screen size iMac or model. Example: A 21.5" mid 2010 iMac can be upgraded with a 21.5" 2011 iMac's video card or possible a 27" iMacs. But when going with a different screen size, the chances of the card fitting are rather low.

5. appletechpro macrumors regular

6. Flood123 macrumors 6502a

Flood123

With a quick search all i was able to find were ebay links. Maybe ifixit can sell you one ? Might want to contact them to see if its even compatible with your current mac.

7. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

You can replace the CPU and GPU, but you'll want to use a card that was taken out of a donor iMac. Other MXM boards will fit, but without a Mac-specific ROM, the thing probably won't boot properly.

If you can find an iMac-sourced 6970M on ebay though, it's more than possible to do.

8. mojothemonkey macrumors regular

Wow. I like to take computers apart, but those instructions are pretty hard core. What DONT you remove to get the GPU?

While I'm as adventurous as the next tinkerer, I feel reassured knowing that any part I might screw up by static discharge, accidentally breaking a transistor, etc. can be replaced easily. Not so with an iMac. This is for living on the edge.

9. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

Indeed, it seems to be a rather complicated procedure. Also not sure the 6970 would actually work considering it only comes with the larger form factor mac.

10. blendermf macrumors member

blendermf

I don't plan on doing this myself, but my iMac's graphics card has stopped functioning correctly, and this gives me hope that they don't have to replace the whole computer (and hopefully my data can stay in tact).

11. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

opening them up seems intimidating but its really super easy. Just follow the instructions very closely the first time.

12. kennyap macrumors regular

13. cybert macrumors newbie

I upgraded my old iMac core duo with a core 2 duo cpu and it runs fine now as osx LION server!!