iMac 2011 - graphics card or RAM issue?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by batman75, Jun 9, 2017.

1. batman75 macrumors 6502

I'm having an issue with my iMac (2011, 3.4Ghz i7, 24Gb RAM, 1TB HDD). Every so often screen goes gray and it crashes. Then when I try to reboot, it gets stuck in a cycle of trying to reboot, failing and then trying again. If I then switch off, disconnect, and give it a few hours, it will usually boot up fine.

I also ran the boot up diagnostic and I get the error shown.

Here are some screenshots.

IMG_0940.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_0939.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_0937.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_0938.JPG.jpeg

2. JohnS0007 macrumors newbie

JohnS0007

I suspect the video card. My 2011 imac just did the about the same; all grey or grey with pink freezing. I decided to buy a new 2017 iMac instead of costly repair on a old computer.

Now I wonder if this issue is a planned obsolescence from Apple.

3. madman555 macrumors member

I think it's the video card. My 2009 iMac will freeze up when it gets too hot. If I shut down and blow a fan at it, I can get it to boot back up. I can almost always get mine to crash by playing a 720p for about 15 minutes

4. batman75 thread starter macrumors 6502

I ordered a new 2017 too. However I was hoping to keep this one and use it on another floor of the house. They are quoting $500-520 to fix it.

5. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

I had that on my 2011 iMac. Looked exactly like your screen. It was the graphics card going kaput. There was a known issue the AMD Radeon 6970M that caused them to fail somewhat prematurely and more often than they should. So Apple allowed a free replacement (you just paid for labor). But this became known only a few years in and then Apple "only" covered this for the first five years. You are way past that point. I think my issue happened a few months past that five year period, but Apple still gave me a new GPU and only made me pay about $160 for labor to replace it. The quote you are getting it buying the GPU and the labor. Maybe best to sell it. A savvy person will probably buy it, get the GPU wholesale price and do the labor themselves.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 10, 2017 ---
    It is not planned obsolescence. It is just a GPU failing. Things happen to computers that are six years old.