iMac 2011 graphics replacement?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mattysouthall, Aug 17, 2013.

1. mattysouthall macrumors member

I just read news here: http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/16...eplacement-program-for-mid-2011-27-inch-imac/

I have a mid 2011 27 inch iMac with that graphics card and also matches serial numbers listed but I have had no issues so far with my iMacs GPU.

Does this mean mine will fail at some point? do i need wait for it to fail before getting replaced, i am confused do they replace it with a different gpu or the same one when it does fail?

Just curious if i am supposed to get it replaced even if it is working fine if it is going to fail ?

2. liquorice macrumors regular

liquorice

I didnt have a problem till Wednesday morning, when after a force shutdown, on restart all I got were 5 green lines down the screen then a white screen.
    It is now in for a replacement video card .

3. WilliamG macrumors 604

I certainly would. Why risk it for out of warranty failing?

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

When Apple start a program of replacement like this it's for very good reasons. I cost's them a lot of money, so If It were me? I'd get that GPU changed now before it goes bad. It's free, and you will have peace of mind.

5. blendermf macrumors member

blendermf

They are only doing the replacement in this case if they see the symptoms. So if it's working fine now, they won't replace it.

Also they are most likely putting a new one of the same card back in, so it probably won't improve your chances of avoiding failure anyways. (I don't know this for sure, they may have revised versions of those graphics cards, but I kind of doubt it)

I'd like to know though because my computer is eligible, and the GPU is completely fried (and it's already been replaced once too).

6. Bear macrumors G3

A revised version of the same GPU will be used for the replacement. They are only replacing it on failure. So if you start seeing graphics issues, get it replaced, otherwise there is nothing you can do.

It will be the same model GPU, but now that they've identified the issue, it will be a revised version of the card that will have had the issue in question resolved.

7. mattysouthall thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, Okay thanks guys I might just check with AppleCare.. because knowing my luck the GPU will break just as my AppleCare goes out of warranty..